Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Quick Hits From The Skribit Widget

I just did a quick review of our Skribit requests so let me take a minute to answer some of the short and sweet questions.

1. Can I run Lightroom off an external drive so that it doesn't slow my laptop and use valuable memory?
2. Your settings for Picture Styles?
3. Recent posts you say shoot through your umbrella do you mean that or are you bouncing light off it?
4. Just purchased LR 2, any pointers where to start?

Just hit the "Read More..." below to to see the answers to these Skribit questions.

Can I run Lightroom off an external drive so that it doesn't slow my laptop and use valuable memory?
Yes, you can with no problem. Remember, Lightroom 1.41 and 2.0 (argh) will only work from a local drive. We have been putting a copy of the clients image folder along with the LRCAT files - remember, I create a new LRCAT file for each new job because of the number of images I shoot. We simply "shuttle" it from workstation to workstation as needed. When the LR work is complete, we simply copy the files back to the main drive, and then delete them from the "shuttle" drive making it ready for the next orders.

Your settings for Picture Styles?
Whether I shooting Nikon or Canon cameras, I turn the contrast down 1 notch for Nikon and 2 notches down on the Canon. I think these cameras are just too contrasty coming out of the box and need the contrast reduced a bit to look more "film-like." If you are shooting RAW, it makes no difference, if you are using Lightroom since RAW is RAW and LR won't pick up the user settings when importing. In that case, I have a preset that reduces the images to a more pleasing - at least in my opinion - to my eye. That said, Lightroom 2.0 will also pick up the standard picture styles in Library Mode under Camera Calibration.

Recent posts you say shoot through your umbrella do you mean that or are you bouncing light off it?
Nope, just like I said, I shoot through a "translucent" umbrella. You can see my earlier Shoot-Through tutorial on the subject right here including the diagrams. See what you missed by not being a regular reader ;~)

Just purchased LR 2, any pointers where to start?
Sure, just read these three articles - it's how we do things at David Ziser Photography.
4000 Images In The Workflow - How Do I Do It?
4000 Images - The Rest Of The Story
My 10 Favorite Things About Lightroom 2.0 - For The Portrait/Wedding Photographer

Next, search the DigitalProTalk.com for Lightroom 2.0 - that should give you a good start. Oh, by the way, Matt Kloskowski has a great 4-part series over at Kelby Training [link] too.

3 comments:

  1. [quote]Recent posts you say shoot through your umbrella do you mean that or are you bouncing light off it?[/quote]

    I get the feeling that this person was thinking about the camera rather than the flash . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you can run the LRCAT files off of an external drive, but can you run the program from one also?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was msytified upon reading the possibility that someone would think that shooting through an umbrella could mean anything other than "shooting through an umbrella." Then, this morning, I was listening to David Hobby who was guest on LightSource's podcast. He literally cut a hole in his umbrella through which his lens protruded. Talk about a profession in which there are no rules...

    ReplyDelete