Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Few Newsbits and Tidbits For The Road

I was going to wrap the posts today from "Rumor Mill Central". I was going to tell you about the rumors of the brand new Canon 50D - 15.1 mega-pixels, 6.3 fps, 920,000 dot/VGA resolution - four times the pixel count of the EOS 40D, ISO's up to 12800! But, it seems Canon let the "cat out of the bag" yesterday and announced it to everyone. Here is the press release [link].

The specs look pretty impressive to me. At first glace, the 50D looked to be the replacement for the 40D, but no, the 40D stays in the line. Hey, that's probably good news for us 40D owners, we can still sell them at a better price before they are discontinued. I'm not quite sure where this model fits in within the Canon line. Check out this Canon link right here which shows the 50D below the 5D, above the 40D at $1099, and two steps above the 30D at $1299 - I'm so confused. Rumor has it the the 50D will come in about $1500.

Wait, there's more - you know, when I was test driving the Nikon D3 and D300 - alas, I had to send them back this week - I loved their 18-200mm VR lens. It seemed the perfect zoom range for us wedding guys and girls. Well, guess what Canon just announced? You got it - their new EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens, costing $700, and also availability due in October - finally.

While I'm discussing zoom ranges, did you see this one? Tamron just announced their latest greatest - get this, 18-270mm VC (vibration compensation) lens [link]. I'm guessing it will be priced about $650. I can't wait to get my hands on that one. I got to shoot with their 28-300 VC lens at my last Master Class in July and the jury was still out on that lens for me. I want to try this new puppy before I comment on the 28-300mm lens - I'll keep you posted.

So what's blatantly missing from the Canon announcement? We all know what's missing - no word of the 5D's replacement! I've found the best place for rumors about the 5D happen to be over at our fellow photo blogger's site - 1001 Noisy Cameras. Here is the link to the latest round up of Canon 5D rumors [link].

Hey everybody, that's it for me today. I'm calling it a day today a little early. Fellow Cincy blogger, Jim Talkington of ProPhotoLife.com is heading over for lunch and then an afternoon of blog tech-talk. I'm really looking forward to the visit.

Be sure to stop by tomorrow for further discussions on what software to use in your studio for client presentations. Hey everybody, I'll see you tomorrow for Business Day Thursday: Secrets To Salesroom Success. See ya' then, -David

1 comment:

  1. Hope you can try the new Canon zoom Dave then give us your feedback.

    ReplyDelete