Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Technique Tuesday: Capturing The Moment; and Web-Cast Off The Charts!!!

Good Afternoon Everybody,

What can I say, we had about 100 seats left for tomorrow's web-cast. I sent out a quick email last night figuring that would fill up the last seats.  I don't know if I can explain what happened but things just exploded overnight.  Read the article below for the rest of the story.

Over 2100 Registered for "Captured By The Light" Web-Cast Tomorrow!!!

Standing Room OnlyTomorrow's "Captured By The Light" web-cast's registrations are now totally off the charts - we now have over 2100 registrations for the program! The problem? We only have "seats" for 1000.

As mentioned earlier, the web-cast "room" will hold up to 1000 attendees. I will "open the doors" at 2:30 p.m. EST for logging in - 30 minutes before the program's start time of 3:00 p.m.  The first 1000 to log-in will be guaranteed a seat.

So as to not disappoint anyone, we are considering alternate re-broadcast dates and possibly an additional web-cast for those who won't be able to attend because of the large number of registrations and our "room size" limit.  

Wow! Who would have guessed our numbers would be so large? Thanks to everyone for your enthusiasm to attend the program. And don't worry - I promise that everyone who wants to attend the program will get that chance.  I'll keep you posted on the details.

Anyway, let's get on with calmer things today like this week's episode of Technique Tuesday.  Here we go...

It's More Than About Capturing The Action, It's Really About Capturing The Moment

With today's cameras and super fast shooting rates, it's easy to get caught up in just shooting the action at a wedding.  It falls back to that old adage someone once quipped at one of my seminars - "If you can't shoot 'em good, shoot 'em fast." I still smile at that remark.

But weddings are more than just "action".  A wedding day is composed of a series of wonderful moments of interactions among the bride and groom, families and friends. 

It's those moments that are most important for us to cover.  It's the moments that tell the special story of the day.  It's those special moments that need to live forever in the the clients' wedding album for everyone to be able to relive and enjoy.

What I'm talking about is capturing the actions together with the reactions to those actions.  Both the action and reaction comprise the moments we need to preserve for our clients.

That the basis for today's tutorial.  Today I'll walk you though three series of images that make that point. I'll show you the action and then the reactions. You be the judge to determine if I then captured some of the the real moments of the day. If our wedding photography is all action shots, then they're mostly snapshots.  We can do better for our clients.

Hit the PLAY button below and enjoy the show.

I hope you can clearly understand the point I was trying to make.  Sure, it takes a "sixth sense" to be able to anticipate those reactions but that's what we are being paid to do.  It's the shots so many new photographers are missing.  It's the reason our clients hire us for the job.

__________________________________________________

Hey gang, that's it for me today. We are wrapping the edit on my Digital WakeUp Call tour DVD set. And now that looks like it's turning into possible a 4 DVD set instead of the original three. It seems I added lots more additional content than I previously thought.

Hey, you can still pre-order the 3 or 4 DVD set right here. Bundle it with an autographed copy of my wedding book, and it's even a better deal;~)

OK, I've got to get scootin'.  We have clients arriving shortly and I've got real work to do today.  How about I see everyone tomorrow for another episode of PhotoFAVS Wednesday.

See ya' then,  -David

3 comments:

  1. Hi David,

    I hope the "Captured By The Light" web-cast was a big succes.
    I tried to log in, but kept getting a message saying:

    This Webinar is not yet open to attendees. Please come back at the scheduled time below.

    "Captured By The Light" - Wedding/Lighting Webinar
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 9:00 PM - 10:30 PM CET


    And now I see this post. Seems I'm too late (even though I tried just before 8:30 pm CET, because I never did this before and wanted to see if there was already something to see).
    Since my son is not feeling well, I wouldn't have been able to watch it fully concentrated, but I was really curious.
    Well, maybe there will be a followup or re-run. I hope so.

    But I was wondering: if there is a limit to the number of attendees, why is it possible to keep on registring after that number has been reached? It just doesn't seem "fair" to the ones who registered in time.

    I check your site regularly, but didn't read the part about the webcast (and the early opening for 1000 attendees), because i thought it was just a reminder. Not expecting some new "rules" to attend.
    No hard feelings, though.
    Your book is still on my wishlist for my upcoming birthday ;-)

    Greetings from the Netherlands,

    Marco

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will find you are a day early, it starts on the 3rd March.
    But I do agree that those 1000 who registered first should be given priority.
    Looking roeward to it tonight in UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous,
    Not a day early, just twelve hours!
    My mistake. When will I ever learn the difference between A.M. and P.M.??? ;-)

    Glad to see that there is another session scheduled. Hope I can make that one.
    I also see that David already raised questions about registering more than 1000 people. Hope they solve this.
    In the meantime I keep on reading the blogs and watch Davids videos.

    Marco

    ReplyDelete