Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A Quick Peak At My Composition or My Secret Handshake To Better Pictures

In today's Technique Tuesday, lets discuss what makes a great image. Sure it's color, impact, subject matter, and so much more, but when it comes right down to it, it's the composition of the image. Basically the term composition means 'putting together', any work of art is arranged or put together using conscious thought. I'm foregoing the video tutorial today because of the time constraints of my Master Class this week - not enough hours in the day - but look for one down the road in the near future. Anyway, let's take a quick peek at how I put my images together.

Its all about where you place the subject in the viewfinder. Let's start with the quickest, easiest way to consider our options. First, cut the viewfinder into four quadrants numbered as shown. Now for the first "secret handshake" for good composition - place the main part of subject in one of the quadrants - check out the next image - looks pretty good doesn't it? Now let's refine it - lose the quadrants and replace it with the more precise tic-tac-toe board. I call the intersections of the lines "Nodal points." To yet improve your image with respect to composition - just be sure your subject falls on one of the four nodal points. I've selected number 1 in this case. Now there you have it - a much better composed image - better that just dead center at least in the case of this image. That's my quick hit compositional bit for today - Pixel perfect!

4 comments:

  1. Nice, maybe a tutorial on focal lengths and composition would be nice. I am forever having a hard time deciding what focal length to use to achieve a nice look or effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice explanation of the rule of thirds. I'd advise against calling thos intersections "nodal points" though, as that term already has a different, well-established meaning in photography.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much,- just a little mistake "... I've selected number 4 in this case.." It is number 1.

    ReplyDelete