Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Ziser WayBack #6 - Getting It Together

By the mid to late 80's - about 10 years after I started my business, I thought I was finally getting my act together when it came to lighting and composition. Monte Zucker's style was a big part of what was popular with my clients and I was fine tuning my portrait skills as well. Peruse the images in this week's post. I think the first three images are really nice portraits all done with only one light. The second high key image is the only exception. I blasted a light into the background to push it white for a very nice effect.



I was also starting to see the leading lines in the compositions. Look at the rest of the images. The bride by the stain glass window - notice how the implied direction of the stain glass leads right to her face. Also notice the couple at the bottom of the stairs - all lines point right to them. Notice too the couple by the wrought iron railing - see how the s-curve runs through the entire scene. I'll have to cover some of these rules of composition in future posts.

Also, about this time of my career, I found myself booking some of the bigger weddings in the city. The studio was doing pretty darn good. We continued to grow throughout the 90's constantly trying to offer our clients the best in photography and service. The business continued to grow as did the size of the jobs we were booking. Our clients loved the images I was providing and the style we were doing.

In this new millennium we are starting to photograph the weddings of the Bar and Bat Mitzvah kids I photographed in the 80's and starting to photograph the Bar and Bat Mitzvahs of my wedding clients I photographed in those mid 80's. In fact, this year, I will photograph the fourth bride whose mom and dad's wedding I photographed. What can I say about that - only one thing. I'm an old guy!!

It is truly an honor to get the second and third call from clients who have been supportive and loyal to you over all these years. It also speaks to the tremendous support I have had from my employees thru-out these years. They too undoubtedly deserve much of the praise and adoration's for the success I've seen in my company. Thanks to all who continue to make this such a wonderful journey!!

1 comment:

  1. David,
    Thanks for this series, I've really enjoyed it. It's been great to see how your skills and style developed over time. I've been shooting weddings going on seven years and every one I try to shoot something new and improve what I'm doing. I don't think that will ever stop, every year I look back on last years work and it amazes me the difference a few months makes. Your way back machine got me looking at where I began and I honestly can't imagine what my work will be like seven years from now, too busy enjoying the journey. I think if you ever stop learning, changing and challenging yourself, the passion will go from your work and it's time to hang up the camera. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete