Monday, April 07, 2008

Death by Blogging

Yes, it can be quite hazardous to your health - at least as it relates to an article I read in the New York Times this past Sunday morning. I know this is not necessary related to photography, but as I write these words, I feel I could "go" any minute ;~) The article mentioned a tech blogger who just died two weeks ago, a second that passed in December, and a third that survived a heart attack that same month. It goes on to state that bloggers complain of weight loss or gain, sleep disorders, exhaustion and other maladies born of the nonstop strain of producing articles for a news and informational blog. “I haven’t died yet,” said Michael Arrington, the founder and co-editor of TechCrunch, but he has complained of putting on 30 pounds. Hey, this is all pretty scary stuff.

All blogging aside, I think it speaks to many of us living way to busy lives and forgetting to smell the roses along the way. I have to say, in the early days of my business, I played golf at least once a week, sometimes twice and loved it!! I haven't played in four years. Sure the thrill of the chase of running your business is a kick, but the reality is that to enjoy it we need to make some balance. Balance is just one of the ingredients needed in our business for success now and then.

I have a friend well known in the profession, who takes a week long vacation to a remote part of the world just to review, rethink, and recharge. The break re-energizes him and he continues to build a really successful business. My accountant, who has always been my business mentor, holds off premise retreats for her entire staff at least once a year. This day of planning and brain storming, is a breeding ground for new ideas, products, and services which she uses to revitalize her business and keep it fully charged and enriched both for her company and her clients.

So maybe, on this early spring day, this article can be the early wake up call we all need to re-visit the possibility of examining our business practices and goals and see if we we can entertain the notion that it is not just another day, but a new day ripe with positive energy, wonderful surprises, and endless possibilities. Man, I sure don't want to "go" blogging.

By the way, you can read the whole NYT article right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment