Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Technique Tuesday: It’s All About The Lines, Leading Lines That Is

Good Afternoon Everybody,

You know, even though we had a great week in Banff, it still feels good to be back home.  The rain has let up a bit, the weather has warmed nicely, and the sun has even come out for a minute or two  Sorry for yesterday's later than usual post, but I sure hope you had a chance to check out some of the links in my link heavy Quick Hit Monday.

I’ve got a meeting in just a few minutes so let’s get on with today’s post – here we go…

It’s All About The Lines, Leading Lines That Is

You know, during my Master Class, we give the attendees plenty of time to shoot and work with each other in learning about lighting and composition.  I keep my lighting pretty simple and it’s fairly easy to understand.  The concepts of composition, it seems, are not that easy to grasp.

All About The LinesIMG_3940-Edit-EditI have to chuckle a bit a few weeks ago when I was trying to show some of the class members all the leading lines all around the staircase in the location where we were working. But even though the leading lines were everywhere, many of the students had their long telephoto lens on their cameras shooting away.

I finally told all of them to put their telephotos away and replace it with the widest angle lens they had in their gear bag.  It was only then that I heard many of them exclaim, “Oh, I see the lines now!”  It’s a funny thing about wide angle lenses – it’s really easy to see the leading lines with such a wide field of view.  Now all you have to do is see where they lead and place your subject there.

In today’s tutorial, I’ll walk you through the process of learning how to “see” with wide angle lenses.  I hope you’ll see what I’m trying to describe in the video because if you do, it will change your photographic lives and give you a peek at why I like wide angle lenses so much.

Why not hit the PLAY button and enjoy the show.

________________________________________________________

Hey gang, that’s it for me today.  I’ve got a quick meeting across town and need to be hitting the road.  Tomorrow I continuing my series, “The One That Got Away.”  I select an image or two and show you what went right and what went wrong and how to make it an even stronger more impacting image.  I think you’ll enjoy it.

Hope to see you then,  David

2 comments:

  1. nice as usual :)

    thanks David.. i learn from you a lot

    Regards,
    Mohammed

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you use a wide angle lens and not get lens distortion?

    ReplyDelete