Wednesday, April 06, 2011

"Leading The Field"

Leading The FieldIMG_1730

"Leading The Field"
©David A. Ziser

I really like this image – our subject, in this setting, looks like one of Orlando’s leading business men.  Sure it was made during my wedding shootout during Photoshop World in Orlando but the fact that I was shooting wedding images makes no difference to how the portrait of this young man came together. 

It could have just as well been an Orlando executive.  I hope you can see that the lighting and composition rules apply cross platform – wedding, high school seniors, family groups or executive portraits.

Let’s dissect this image – first look at how all the lines, curved, straight, diagonal – all lead the eye to our subject.  His dark suit, creating the area with the highest contrast, really stands out from the bright high-key architectural surrounds. The subject, railing and floor offer the only slight slight color in the scene. I really enjoy how he stands out from the monochromatic light to gray tonalities of the  scene.

Lighting was from the windows only.  I turned his head slightly into the light for a nice loop lighting pattern on his face.  I know it’s hard to see but, I assure you, it’s there. It’s the lighting and composition that give the image it’s depth, dimension and impact. Time to capture this portrait? I’m a wedding photographer – about 5 minutes ;~)

Camera specs: Canon 7D fitted with 18-200mm IS lens at 100mm, F5.6 @ 1/250 second, ISO 640.  Enjoy!  -David

1 comment:

  1. Hi David,
    While I agree this is an outstanding image, do the corporate clients have a problem that they cannot see their face?
    Or is it that the shoot was a more editorial type and this was just one image out of a set presented to the client?

    ReplyDelete