Thursday, April 28, 2011

"Things Are Looking Up At The Fairmont"

Things Are Looking Up At The FairmontIMG_4870-Edit

"Things Are Looking Up At The Fairmont"
©David A. Ziser

This is another image I made while exploring Banff, Alberta, Canada and the surrounds.  We took a day trip over to Lake Louise and stopped in the beautiful Fairmont Hotel to warm up after our freezing walk across the frozen lake.

I was just resting in the lobby waiting on LaDawn who was wondering the nearby gift shop when I leaned back and noticed this really cool looking upper level of the hotel.  As luck would have it, my trusty Sigma 8-16mm lens was in place on my camera.

I simply leaned back as far as I could, framed up the image and shot away. Granted, this is no image for Architectural Digest, but the experience was a nice “eye exercise” in composition.  First of all I like all the strongly converging lines created by the super wide angle lens.  Next, I like the contrasting warm and cool colors. I also like the contrasting elements the curving arches, chandelier, and corner railings against the straight lines of the second floor soffit and pillars.

I thought the combination of all these elements made for an interesting and pleasing visual experience.

Camera specs: Canon 7D fitted with Sigma 8-16mm lens at 8mm, F4.5 @ 1/30 second, ISO 200.  Enjoy!  -David

2 comments:

  1. Please pray for all of our friends in Smithville, MS and other in MS, and AL that have lost their homes and their loved ones. I know this is not appopriate response for this photo, but hopefully David your followers all over will see this message and keep us in your prayers. Tuscaloosa is very close to Birmingham where I helped LaDawn setup for your tour in 2009. Thanks, a million in advance for everyones prayers. James Holland Amory, MS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David,
    The railing walks my eyes to the chandelier. The lines and color make a pleasing composition. I just purchased a Sigma 8-16 mm lens. Thought I might try it out at the Valley of Fire State Park.

    ReplyDelete