Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Technique Tuesday: One Light Portraits For Beautiful Results

Good Afternoon Everybody,

I guess we are back in the swing of things around here again - my team is slowly wondering in, we're wrapping a few last minute deliveries, and Technique Tuesdays are up and running. I've just finished today's Technique Tuesday and I think you are really going to like it.  Let's get right to it.

One Light Portraits For Beautiful Results

1024x768 - One Light Portraits In today's tutorial I'm going to walk you through my simple lighting setup I use to obtain some spectacular results for my clients.  Over the last few days I've posted three images - today's included -  from a very special portrait session of mom, dad, and a 2 month old baby.

I think what will be surprising for many of you watching today's tutorial will be the utter simplicity of the set-up.  I'll show you a small shooting space, a simple background, and a very easy one light portrait technique. 

For me, it's never about spending thousands of dollars on lighting gear.  I've always sought out the "easiest to use" cost effective lighting I could find. I've never been impressed with photographers showing a "gazillion" dollars worth of gear to shoot a portrait.  Don't get me wrong - there are some instances that all that gear is needed for maybe a commercial shoot, but for most of us working in this business, simplicity is better - and more economical.

Related Link - Westcott Spider Light and Shallow Soft Box

Anyway, hit the PLAY button below and enjoy the show.

Hey gang, that's it for me today.  We are on a pretty light schedule this week and are enjoying the slower pace and "recharging the batteries" a bit.  Be sure to stop by tomorrow for another episode of "My Photo FAVS".  See ya' then, -David

3 comments:

  1. What a great video! I'm trying to learn about lighting and this was great to hear some of your thoughts. Love how you tell a story with the light! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial David! It's inspiring to know that you don't need to have lots of expensive lighting gear and tons of space to create great portraits. Keep it simple-I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the video. It's straight and to the point, keeping it simple as you said. I am still learning about light and your videos and tutorials have not only been helpful, but inspiring as well. Since I am just starting out, it is nice to know that you don't have to spend a whole lot of money to achieve excellence.

    ReplyDelete