Monday, February 16, 2009

"Morning Glory"

"Morning Glory"
©David A. Ziser

I love the feel of this image, even though it received a small boost from Photoshop. My off-camera flash supplies the illumination, of course. Here is where it got tricky. I was using two Canon 580 EX flashes in “High Speed” sync mode with the on-camera flash set NOT to fire so as to not light up the foreground. My assistant had the off-camera 580EX flash “zoomed” to a tighter cone of light to keep the light off the ground and only on the subject. My assistant was out of camera range to the far left. Notice how his light position gave a perfect loop lighting pattern on the bride’s face. By controlling the shutter speed, I can control to density of the sky which added quite a bit of richness by under exposing slightly. Photoshop gave the final boost to the colors. Pretty cool how it all worked out. Camera specs; Canon 20D fitted with 10-22mm lens at 10mm, F 4.5 @ 1/2000 second, ISO 400. Enjoy! -David.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for explaining where the off-camera flash came from! After first looking at the photo, I was puzzled as to where the bride's illumination was coming wrong, especially since the camera was getting so much of the foreground.

    Lovely photo :). Wish I could take something like that.

    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great shot! I do love the feel of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, beautiful work as always! Thanks for sharing this image and your method for getting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well done! Love it! BRAD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing those great images.

    ReplyDelete