Thursday, February 12, 2009

Business Day Thursday: Out Of Sight, Out of Mind, Out of Business!

Good Morning Everybody,
Welcome to another Business day Thursday. Yesterday I received an email from my Seattle, WA photographer buddy, Bruce Hudson. Bruce and I have known each other for a number of years. Bruce's does beautiful portrait and wedding work. Here is the link to his website right here.

Anyway, I receive his email inviting me to sit in on his Webinar being hosted by Marathon Press Tuesday evening. I was honored by his request and signed on at 8 p.m. EST. Bruce and his son Josh gave everyone a great 60 minute "listen" on an important marketing topic....Staying connected with your clients. Marathon puts these webinars on all the time - I've even been featured a time or two myself - showcasing talented and well known photographers discussing photography, marketing, and sales. Here is the link to their upcoming programs right here. Tuesday evening Bruce's topic was on newsletters. Here is the link to his latest studio newsletter right here. His topic gave me the idea for today's post.

Hit the "Read More..." link below for the rest of the story.

Out Of Sight, Out of Mind, Out of Business!
The minute I heard those words, I jotted them down - Bruce was spot on with that remark. How many times have you been guilty of making the delivery to your client, shaking hands, smiling and waiving good-bye. Once they are out the door we never think of that client again. This is a sad fact about too many business who wonder why they don't have any business.

READ MY LIPS - "WE HAVE TO BE CONNECTING WITH OUR CLIENTS ON A REGULAR BASIS IF WE WANT OUR BUSINESS TO GROW!" Folks, that's the bottom line. That why Bruce's remark rings so true - Out Of Sight, Out of Mind, Out of Business!
With all the resources we have at our disposal today, it extremely easy to stay in touch with your client. Bruce suggested getting started with a simple newsletter that goes out a few times a year. Folks, that like super easy to do. If you don't think so, just try to keep up with a blog 5 days a week - the newsletter is a piece of cake by comparison;~)

Anyway, I want you to think about it. No - I want you to do it!! Let me point you to some great resources to make it happen. First, you need to know how to put a news letter together. Check out this link to one of my favorite sites, AllGraphicDesign. Here is the link. They have a ton on info on newsletter layout and design - over 30 articles on design, layout, impact, mistakes, etc. This site can quickly get you up and running.

Another good source of info can be found at About.com. Here is the link to their newsletter resource page - more good stuff.

OK, there you have - no excuses. But now you ask, "Where in world do I get them printed?" Easy answer - Marathon Press for me and Bruce. At least I'd start there - that's their business - helping photographers promote themselves. They will help you lay it out and print it for you for about $.37 based on an order quantity of 2500 pieces.

I know what you're saying, "Heck, by the time I add the postage, which is going up by the way, I've got a small fortune invested for my little business. I knew you were going to say that so if you want an even more economical way to get your newsletter out - how about an e-newsletter? These are super simple to put together. That's how I stay connected with my monthly newsletter.

It takes me approximately 4 hours to get it together, proof read it and send it. You can do that for about $.015/per email - not too shabby. Contact Marathon Press for their eNewsletter service. Here is the link. Another popular service is Constant Contact - here is their link. Like Marathon, they offer lots of templates that will get you up and running in no time. These are two I am familiar with. Check pricing to see which is the best fit for your situation and budget. The only downside is that it may sit on your client's kitchen counter for days begging for attention.

Anyway, the bottom line is this - Do Something, Not Nothing if you want you customers to keep coming back! And it's pretty easy to do something, even without breaking the bank.

My thanks to Bruce for the invitation to sit in on his program. He has a lot more where that came from too. Check out his MyStudioMentor site right here. Bruce has been helping photographers for years build and fine tune their businesses.

Anyway, on that note gang, I'm out of here. See ya' tomorrow for who knows what, but it will still be worth the visit. See ya' then. -David

3 comments:

  1. David:

    Excellent advice. I know that most of our attention focused on developing new client relationships with the idea of transferring that directly to the bottom line. Bruce's comments hightlight an incredible resource that we each already have in-house as a present/past client. These people have already been sold on the quality and value of our work and are too often overlooked as a viable option of additional business. Thanks for the excellent ideas and thanks to Bruce too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook and other social network sites are one of the best ways to stay in touch with your clients, and they are much more personal than a mass email :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on. I'm learning the value of staying connected, not only with clients, but also with vendors.

    I used to use constant contact, but for the amount I sent they were too spendy. Then I found Mail Chimp. You can simply buy email credits and use them as needed.

    Gav

    ReplyDelete