Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"April Breezes”

"April Breezes”
©David A. Ziser

I remember taking this image so vividly. I took this image on a Monday afternoon during a bridal shoot. Three days later, after a soft spring rain, all the delicate white buds you see on the trees were on the ground. What struck me was how short lived and such a limited opportunity I had to capture this beautiful scene. I was lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time. My radio controlled off-camera flash was coming in from the right and cast a beautiful light on the bride. For me, it's always about the light – highlights next to shadows to create detail, depth, dimension and added color saturation. This recipe always kicks the beauty of the image “up a notch”, at least in my opinion. Notice the shutter speed of 1/400 second – just a bit faster than the native sync speed of the camera. But as long as you keep the subject in the “flash sync” part the viewfinder, you still receive the benefit of the faster flash speed in controlling the ambient light. Camera specs; Canon 20D fitted with 70-200mm lens at 135mm, F 4.0 @ 1/400 second, ISO 400.
Enjoy! -David

3 comments:

  1. Great shot David (as always). Its amazing how shot locations can change so quickly, especially with the volatility of the weather. Just today I had to grapple with cloud movement causing all kinds of havoc with light in the space of minutes! By the way, just listened to your i/v on Camera Dojo podcast and it was very inciteful... many thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I David, my name is Nadil Khan. Am a wedding photographer (www.nadilkhan.com) from Trinidad in the West Indies. I just have some things I wanna get off my chest. David, I think you are one of the best photographers in the World. You share so much valuable information on your blog and I know you are a very helpful individual. I think you a little bit under-rated. I think you deserve more credit for all the information that you share. How can we thank you for all this?????????
    Nadil................

    ReplyDelete