Tuesday, August 03, 2010

"Morning Mysteries"

0001-Morning Mysteries-IMG_1728-Edit-2

"Morning Mysteries"
©David A. Ziser

This image was made a few weeks ago when we were visiting Bar Harbor, Maine.  I believe this was the second day of our visit as I remember the fog really beginning to roll in.  Although this image was made in the evening, I thought the title fit the image better. I had run this image through about every adjustment I could dream of in Lightroom 3, but decided instead just to post it “au natural” without any adjustment on it at all.  In the process of refining the image I even removed the the small rocky island you see in the distance.  When I did, the landscape just seemed too empty without it so I let it stay.  It creates a better visual balance to the overall scene. This image was shouting at me, “Just leave me alone.” Everything I wanted to try just wasn’t working visually for me. I relented to the scene’s call and decided to let it stand on it’s own. The lesson here is to not ALWAYS get wrapped up in what you can do TO an image, but just relax and enjoy the scene for what it is. I hope you to do. Camera specs: Canon 7D fitted with 18-200mm IS lens at 165mm, F 5.3 @ 1/160 second, ISO 3200.  Enjoy!  -David

2 comments:

  1. Hi David,

    I used to work for Acadia National Park, and I can't tell you how many people stood and looked out at that scene on a foggy day and swore they were looking at a whale!
    Hope you enjoyed your stay.

    -chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully simple composition. And you're right: sometimes you need to forget about post-production and just let the reality of a scene wash over you. I'm looking forward to a trip to Acadia myself in a couple weeks, so I'll keep my eye out for this whal...er, rock!

    -another chris

    ReplyDelete