Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Technique Tuesday: How To Photograph a Bride - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Good Morning Everybody,
Stop, stop - no emails please - I'm talking about the photography and I've seen some ugly bridal photography. I'm most definitely NOT referring to the subject!!! Anyway, hope you got a chance to watch the Canon 5D Mark II video I posted yesterday. I really appreciate your remarks but was a bit surprised by a few of the comments. Hey, Mr. Anonymous - where ever you are - the tongue movement was the high school senior lip syncing the song lyrics, obviously not everyone has my same opinion and I always appreciate hearing from each of you. Anyway 'nough said - still a great video with outstanding photography.

The comments did raise some other questions which I hope to cover in future posts. Kent took hours getting the video together - not a way to be profitable if you sell the video for only a few dollars. This whole video/still/workflow thing needs some additional thought and discussion - so stay tuned. Anyway, how about on with this week's Technique Tuesday...

How To Photograph a Bride - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Every now and then, someone will comment on one of my images of the day and that comment will give me an idea for a future post. That what happened a few weeks ago when I posted "Rocky Mountain High" and someone commented about my cutting off the bride's gown in the photograph. It was his opinion that you should never cut off the bride's gown. I agree 100% with the remark, except when I cut off the bride's gown.

So, how about a discussion about when to cut off the gown and when not to cut off the gown. Hey, wait a second, let me give you the whole scoop on photographing a bride - what you need to cover, how to cover it, what you should expect as a final result. Fasten your seat belts and hit PLAY below and watch and listen.



Shooting The Bride - Getting The Great Bridal Shot from David Ziser on Vimeo.

That's it for me today gang. Everybody enjoy the tutorial, keep them shutters clickin', stay smilin' and I'll see ya' tomorrow. -David

7 comments:

  1. Great Tutorial!! Enjoyed it a lot. I will keep the link and watch again. I just started my photography business this year. I had my first wedding in Oct. I have requests for more in the Spring 09 but nothing firm. These are some great pointers. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey David,

    another great post, I look forward to your answering my original blog post on the indepth look at the 5DII video production and its realistic workflow for future productions.

    With regards to this blog post, I wondered if you could explain more about how to get good exposures with brides wearing such large areas of white when shooting with natural light. Is there a thought process you go through to take natural light photo's? Do you use aperture priority or still work in manual mode for natural light photo's I assume compensation has to occur and a balance between "blowing out the dress" and getting that light right on the brides face. Which also leads into what to do if the bride has a dark complexion or if the groom and maybe bridesmaids are wearing darker colors to the white dress. I love the tutorials on using the flash and really understand the use of shutter and Aperture to control lighting, but figure that is different thought process for natural lighting....and using sun light.

    Also if you shoot natural light, and the sun is particulary strong do you ever use diffusers? or do you always place your bride in the shade?

    Sorry for all the questions, but know you'll have the answers

    Best wishes and much appreciation

    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb tutorial, Mr. Ziser, thoughtful and informative.

    You clearly are able to establish a rapport with your client brides. In a future tutorial would you kindly give consideration to explaining how to ask and direct a bride to adopt the classic poses, please? In many online tutorials the subject 'bride' is a model quite attune with the needs of a photographer whereas our brides may be shy and not so relaxed before a lens.

    Thank you for you blogposts.

    Balliolman,
    England.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple yet effective. That's the way to perfection.

    Thanks for your great blog!

    Dan,
    Italy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello David,

    I would like to say thank you! to share us your knowledges and experiences in photography. I love your blog and will learn alot here :) ! Can't wait to see the next post of you!

    best regards from germany!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's no comparison of how much you can try to learn from the book and what you can from experience. Thanks for sharing your experiences and expertise with this video

    ReplyDelete
  7. As the comment above mentioned, there really is no substitute for experience. That said learning from the experiences of others is a great way to learn. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete