Monday, December 08, 2008

"Hot Salsa"

"Hot Salsa"
©David A. Ziser

There is a bit of a story behind this image. On our last night in Mexico, we headed to Morgan's one of the very nice restaurants in San Jose del Cabo. We had a great dinner, but me - I had the Canon 5D Mark II in tow. I don't think Kent got the chance to use the camera at all last week - and I had some ideas in mind. I decided to take portraits of each of us around the restaurant. Don't get me wrong - these were going to be really fast portraits - I didn't want to disturb the other diners. I had to find the space, hit the composition, and light the subjects, which just happened to be the four of us individually, and be done quickly, quietly and very discreetly. This is one of those portraits. It's a portrait of Sarah sitting in the stairwell leading to the second floor of the restaurant. It was really dark here and I had to add auxillary lighting to illuminate Sarah. The additional lighting was from a very small pocket flash light I had with me which Kent held off camera lighting from the left of the scene. Soft, easy believable position also add to what I think is a great portrait of Sarah. Look at the leading lines within the composition - all lines lead to our beautiful subject. The super warm tonalities just add a definite glow and warm feeling to the final result. Camera specs; Canon 5D Mark II fitted with 24-105 IS lens at 35mm, F4.0 @ 1/8 second, ISO 5000. Enjoy! -David

5 comments:

  1. Nice. Really nice clean image. I'm loving what I see coming from the MKII

    Gav

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't take this the wrong way but it's a neat, sexy composition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW!
    Nice comp and wha a creativity!
    Superb pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great for ISO 5000 !
    P.S.
    I guess you mean "auxiliary", not "axillary" lighting... I tried to spot a light source on her axillas :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good day David,

    Camera specs; F4.0 @ 1/8 second, ISO 5000! With the shutter speed set to 1/8 sec, i assume you used a tripod. Forgive me but i'm very green to your site (love it by the way) and i'm trying to get a feel for things. Is it only when mentioned that you hand held and all other specs that don't indicate as such use a tripod?

    ReplyDelete