Tuesday, December 30, 2008

"Taking A Break From The Party"

"Taking A Break From The Party"
©David A. Ziser

I ran across this image as I was cruising through some wedding images over the weekend. I had forgotten I had taken it, but loved it when I saw it again. It was made at one of our most popular venues - Drees Pavilion - here in the Cincy area. The really cool thing about this venue is the fact that it over looks the entire Ohio River valley giving great opportunities for capturing some wonderful photographs. It was a hot July evening and some of the wedding guests had stepped outside to enjoy some fresh summer air and take in the view. I thought if I added a little light to the scene, I could pull off a great shot. The rest is history. I had my assistant line up in front of the crowd, pointing the flash back to me. I selected a shutter speed and aperture that would capture the effect I wanted and made the exposure. I love the contrasts, the long shadows, and the colors of the city in the background - I got just what I wanted. Camera specs; Canon 30D fitted with 17-85mm IS lens at 17mm, F 5.6 @ 1/8 second, ISO 1600. Enjoy! -David

3 comments:

  1. I love it! I recently got a similar effect (although by happy accident) shooting in a local restaurant. You can see the shothere. Love the mood in this photograph David!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great shot, David. But, you know what I like best about it (aside from the composition, color and lighting)? That it was made with equipment readily accessible to "Joe Photographer."

    Time and time again, you prove that it's not necessarily the gear, but how you use it.

    Thanks, David!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked it , too!

    How did you decide how to make the exposure? Do you just guess, based on your years of experience, or is there a way of measuring it?

    Thanks,

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete