Friday, December 12, 2008

"Hot Salsa - 2"

"Hot Salsa Too"
©David A. Ziser

Here is the last of the three minute portraits I did in San Jose, Mexico at Morgan's Restaurant last Saturday. This image is of my good buddy Kent Smith. There was a small staircase next to where we were sitting. I asked Kent to go up the steps just a bit and get comfortable. LaDawn was holding my little halogen flashlight just out of camera range to the left. I had her move a bit more to the left so that Kent's shadow dropped mostly out of the shot - hence the split lighting on his face. I like the split lighting, because in this situation, it brings the subject right out of that rich red background. My favorite part of the composition is Kent's perfect symmetry - dead center - within the composition. Notice too, how his arms create the second part of the X, crossing with the banister on the back wall - all very cool for a portrait. Folks, its always about the composition and lighting - that's what makes this portrait work. Camera specs; Canon 5D Mark II fitted with 24-105mm IS lens at 28mm, F4.0 @ 1/15 second, ISO 5000. Enjoy! -David

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Your blog is my favorite every day reading. Its very helpful and well written.

    I have learned here a lot. And every day a bit more.

    I would like to congratulate you for your work and to say thank you for all the precious information here found.

    Im a far away dude from Brazil living for a while in Germany that fell in love with photografy in Japan.

    It started as a hobby but perhaps after the new year I will start working with photografy in Brazil. A question of surviving cuz by know its impossible to me to do back to Japan. The economical crisis changed radicaly all my plans.

    But reading here I found a bit hope in all the chaos.


    Ps. Could you say something about this: http://www.presslite.com/home.php ? It looks interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have another question to you.
    I got 2 of this guys here... They talk throung wireless with each other.

    http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electronics/mecablitz-models/system-flash-units/mecablitz-58-af-1-digital/product-information.html

    I dont know if you know them. But here in europe they are becoming very popular. And I realy like the secondary source of light.

    I think they open some new opportunities, or?

    ReplyDelete