I've recently mentioned here that I was having quite a time getting my loaner Nikon D3 fitted with the 70-200mm VR lens to focus quickly and accurately in those very low light wedding reception situations. Problem solved! I got great results at this weekend's wedding. Here's what I did to make it work.
I have to say having a real working ISO 6400-12,800 just blows me away. It's a great ISO range for a wedding shooter. That's why I was so disappointed when I couldn't get the D3 and long lens to focus quickly in low light reception situations. So let me again say thanks to all for all the suggestions on how to solve the problem.
Here is the low down on just what you need to do:
1. Change A3 Dynamic AF Area to 9 points
2. Change A8 AF Point selection for 51 points to 11 points.
3. Set Focus point wrap around set to "OFF"
4. Use center spot only to focus.
5. Set the camera to "Single" focus mode. I'm still experimenting with "Continuous" focusing in low light - I'll keep you posted.
That's about it - made the changes and things are good again.