Thursday, June 19, 2008

"Hanging With The Kids"

"Hanging With The Kids"
© David A. Ziser


For many years I photographed the most inspiring volunteers in the arts in Cincinnati, Ohio. It was always great fun and at many times a great challenge. In this case, there was no theater to shoot the volunteer. We had to make things up on the fly. I met the client at the production facility and main offices to the Children's Theater. The surrounds were not the best for a nice portrait. Here is what we did. First, I photographed the client in a darkened room so I could extract her out of the setting easily in Photoshop. Yes, light was simple - my trusty off-camera Quantum flash through a translucent umbrella. The back ground was a bit trickier. The offices had many posters of past performances all over the walls. So I started by photographing the posters. The final image was a composite of the volunteer and all the collaged posters. To give the image depth, I used the transform tool on most of the images to bend then back into the composition. A drop shadow or two finished the effect and resulted in a great shot. Camera specs; Canon 20D fitted with 17-85mm lens at 24mm, F11 @ 1/250 second, ISO 400.
Enjoy! -David

1 comment:

  1. first of all... thanks for your lighting tutorials! I found them to be a great inspiration and great bits of wisdom to better my photography. Nice work on this photo too. I really like the way the posters jump out from behind the subject, yet focus their attention on her. Keep up the blog!

    ReplyDelete