Wednesday, January 16, 2008

So When Should You Use Shallow Depth of Field

I'd say the answer is when I'm shooting wedding images and I want the background to go really, really soft. We were shooting at a church yesterday that had a very small garden just outside the side foyer door. I couldn't go outside and make the shot - just not enough space without trampling the plants. Something I would never do!! But I really wanted to get the shot. So, I like to back up, use a long focal length lens, and a larger aperture to really blur the background especially if the background is not really that attractive. Take a peek at the location I was working in. Now look at the image I captured of the bride with the technique just mentioned - pretty cool. You can get some more info on when to shoot with larger apertures right here at PhotoAxe - check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment