Tuesday, January 08, 2008

"Bridal Elegance"
© David A. Ziser

I love the composition of this image - the bride framed in the arch and the curve of the arch repeated by the second architecture element of the crown molding of the stairway help drive viewer's attention right back to the bride. Her position in the bottom left quadrant of the image also adds balance to the composition all of which combines for a striking presentation in this bridal portrait. The pleasing "loop light" on the bride's face was supplied by my off camera flash. Camera specs; Canon 5D fitted with 12-24mm lens at 17mm; F5.6 @1/5 second handheld, ISO 1600. Enjoy! --David

4 comments:

  1. Is there really a 17-85 lens that will fit on the 5D? I thought that the 17-85 was EF-S. Maybe you meant a 40D. The 17mm seems a bit to wide for this shot.

    At any rate beautiful capture. I love the light and curves that bring the eye back to the bride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David

    This might be a dumb question but could you tell us exactly where your off camera ligh is placed in relation to the bride? Also did you mute the hanging light and if so, how?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gavin, You caught me on this one - it was my 12-24 Sigma - thanks for the head's up. It's part of early morning blogging disease - I made the change.

    And to David - I'm going to cover that in next week's Technique Tuesday. I will say it was shot thru an umbrella slight off axis from the bride's face away from the camera.
    --David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Based on the rim light along the back edge of the arch and the shadow projected on the ceiling...I would guess the lighting was directed from behind the bride.

    ReplyDelete