Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Technique Tuesday: Dancing In The Light

Good Morning Everybody,

I am rushing to get the post up today.  It was a very long day yesterday – we finally finishing about 10:00p.m. and that was without a lunch or dinner break – but we got some amazing images and a ton of video lessons. I’ll post a few more images this week.

DAZ GridIMG_6511Add that to the Grid episode I did with Matt Kloskowski – the final episode for this season, BTW (and the longest on record too), and you get an idea how busy the day was.  Yes, yesterday’s final Grid episode was the longest.  It was funny, Matt said we would go about 35 minutes – after 30 minutes we hadn't even got to the main topic but still covered lots of good info up to that point.  You’ll have to check it out right here.  It should be up later today. It was really fun – heck, I bet Opraha’s last show even goes longer than that tomorrow ;~)

We head out again today with our first stop being an ice skating rink. Yes, I am sacrificing my body to get the shots for our Kelby Training viewers ;~)  We have another great day planned – I’ll fill you in more tomorrow.  Because of the lack of time, I’m re-running an episode “Dancing In The Light”. It covers a lot of of the lighting techniques that I use for my couples photography so I think it’s a good topic for today’s discussion.

___________________________________________________

Dancing In The Light
Today's tutorial is a continuation of last week's lighting/photography lesson entitled, "Love Lines" [link]. The bride and I knew we could get some great shots at this wonderful location - the Phoenix in downtown Cincinnati. Here is the trick. You don't want to be pulling your bridal couple away from their guests and their reception for too long. It's their wedding, not our photo shoot.

I asked Grace and Chris if we could break away for 10-15 minutes, just long enough for the guests to finish dinner. They had finished first, so if they agreed, this would be the perfect time to slip in and out with their absence only being minimally noticed.

They agreed, of course, and now the clock was ticking. I had to get all the shots I wanted in less that 15 minutes and get them back to the reception and their guests. This tutorial walks you through the next set of images I created for Grace and Chris. Backlighting and cool compositional lines make for some pretty dramatic images.

This week's tutorial shows you how quickly we put the images together and the great result we got. Hit the PLAY button below and enjoy the show!

________________________________________________________

Hey gang, that’s it for me today.  We start shooting in less than an hour.  I’ve got to get the gear packed and hit the road.  I hope to see you again tomorrow assuming the day doesn’t go as long as yesterday did.

Have a great one and I’ll see you then,  David

No comments:

Post a Comment