Thursday, May 12, 2011

"Meet The New Organist"

Meet The New OrganistIMG_5696

"Meet The New Organist"
©David A. Ziser

OK, the title implies that this is a portrait of someone new at this church.  But in looking at the photograph, it could be a portrait of the new minister, the architect, or a groom.  In reality it was a portrait of a young man playing the part of a groom during my photo session at Texas School last week. 

The point is this, lighting and composition rules are the same regardless of subject matter.  Sure, I point my camera mostly at brides and grooms, but the techniques I discuss at DPT apply across the board.

I love the visual balance and composition of this image. The long, strong diagonal lines criss-crossing the scene add further interest to the image. When we originally walked into this church I believe the class was thinking, “What in the world is Ziser going to do in this location?”  At first glance, the location did not look promising.  But add the widest angle lens in the gear bag and it came alive with possibilities!

Lighting was from camera right, my Quantum on 1/4 power through my Zumbrella.  I under exposed the ambient about a stop and hit the shutter button. I think I was able to capture a pretty nice portrait out of this location.

Camera specs: Canon 7D fitted with Sigma 8-16mm lens at 8mm, F5.6 @ 1/100 second, ISO 800.  Enjoy!  -David

No comments:

Post a Comment