Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Technique Tuesday: Magical Black & White Conversions – Saving the Under/Over Exposed Image

Good Morning Everybody,

In reading over all the comments that have been posted the last few days, I want to begin today’s post by offering a great big “THANK YOU” to all of you who attended my Texas School class held in Dallas last week.  Thank you for all your kind comments and remarks you’ve been posting here at DPT.

DAZ Texas ClassIt was a great time with a great group of people, and that includes class members, wranglers, and staff.  I hope our paths cross again in the not too distant future.

After Dark Update:

Yesterday I headed down to the big After Dark event being held at the Netherland Hilton Hotel, in downtown Cincinnati. There were about 300 folks from all over the US enjoying the myriad of educational festivities.

I got a chance to meet Joel Grimes, an amazing photographer and Photoshop artist. If you haven’t seen any of Joel’s work, be prepared to be “blown away” with his outstanding images right here.  He’s been featured over at the Strobist site and is presenting at Photoshop World in September.  We got a chance to visit briefly – he was showing a small group his latest, greatest “pole cam.” Again, be sure to check out his work right here.

DAZ and Dave Junion2I wondered around for a few hours yesterday and also got a chance to meet Dave Junion, the genius behind After Dark.  Dave is an extremely talented photographer hailing from Wisconsin.  I’ll tell ya’, we had a good time just joking around for a bit.  In fact I MAY even be doing a “bridal shoot” Wednesday evening with a boa constrictor – that’s if I can wrestle it away from New York fashion photographer, Lindsay Adler, who’s planning a fashion shoot with the same snake.  Like I said, it’s a little “crazy” at the Netherland Hilton Hotel this week.

Magical Black & White Conversions Part 2: Saving the Under/Over Exposed Image

Hey gang, I’m pretty excited about this week’s Technique Tuesday. Last week I began to get carried away with the length of the tutorial and decided to break it into two parts.  I covered the steps I take to get the B&W images I like for my wedding photography. One of the things I covered was how to stylize your images for maximum viewing impact. You can catch that post right here.

This week we’re gong to spend some time on saving the image. Yep, every now and then we all take an image or two that just misses it in the exposure department – me included.

The thing is that some of these images would still be great additions to the wedding coverage if we could somehow correct the errors of our ways.  That’s the topic for this week’s tutorial – basically, how to save an under exposed or over exposed image and still get a saleable result.  Why not hit the PLAY button and see how I do it.  And, enjoy the show.

_____________________________________________________

Hey gang, that’s it for me today.  I’m heading back down to After Dark this afternoon to see what’s happening and check out a few more of the programs.

Have a great rest of the day and I’ll see you tomorrow for another episode of “The One That Got Away”.

See ya’ then,  David

p.s. Sorry about the late posting today.  Not only did we have connectivity problems at our end today, Vimeo managed a few hiccups in the process too. Don’t you love technology ;~)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks you for the class. You are amazing. I learned a lot and realized that I have a long way to go. I'm following your advice and reading daily on your sign as well as others and am trying to take photos daily keeping in mind all the things you taught us. Thanks again. Thanks to LeDawn as well you two make a great team.

    ReplyDelete