Tuesday, May 03, 2011

"Maid Marian"

Made MarianIMG_3730-Edit-Edit-Edit

"Maid Marian"
©David A. Ziser

Here is another image made during my Master Class a few weeks ago. We were shooting at the historic St. Augustine Catholic Church in a very old part of the city.  The challenge was to capture a great image of the bride among the urban surrounds. 

My long lens and large aperture did a lot to disguise homes in the background.  A little more Photoshop did the trick to eliminate the rest of the buildings which were previously visible on the left of the image.

What I loved about the image was how I got the wonderful repeat of the tree line on the right.  The long lens helped to give me a nice background too.  The slight puff of wind did the rest by catching the veil perfectly and adding the soft curved lines to the image.

Lighting was a bit trickier.  I needed to light the bride from the right because of how the wind was blowing. I wanted to use a large aperture so using a flash was not an option.  I chose to use a reflecting panel, my Sun Spotz,  instead. 

I didn’t obtain quite the amount of reflected light back on the bride that I wanted but it was still enough to illuminate the subject adequately. It was the blowing veil that carried the image anyway;~)

Camera specs: Canon 7D fitted with 70-200mm IS lens at 155mm, F2.8 @ 1/4000 second, ISO 400.  Enjoy!  -David

4 comments:

  1. I Love this! Delicate beautiful light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful. I love long veils-they are so feminine and perfect for images like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David Ziser what a great shot. Great bokeh, I love it. 9/10 ! The flowers and the arm though look wierd. S curve baby, way to hit the sweet spot on the lens, 1/4000 wow at 2.8, how far were you were from your subject? You had to be pretty far? The trusty 7D is the best camera for the money easy.

    ReplyDelete