Tuesday, May 04, 2010

"In the Shadows Of Your Smile"

The Shadow Of Your Smile

"In the Shadows Of Your Smile"
©David A. Ziser

OK, maybe the title is a bit weak today, but she is standing in the shadows, isn't she ;~). Anyway, this is another image that I captured during last week's Master Class. It's a simple portrait in the beautiful surrounds of Ault Park.  I wanted to include one of the park's main features, the pavilion in the distance. I feel it adds a sense of grandeur to the setting. It's the technique I used here that makes this shot so cool. I used just the available light.  But, you ask, how did I get the beautiful light on her face? Ahhh, I say, "It was just a little photon ricochet."  Yep, I simply bounced the sunlight off a silver reflector camera right. Because of the high efficiency of the reflector's surface, it returned about 90% of the sunlight reflected into it.  That's why the background is so well balanced with the highlights on the bride. I filled the shadows with my on-camera flash on high speed sync in order to accommodate the fast shutter speed. I'm planning a Technique Tuesday on the process next week.  Camera specs: Canon 7D fitted with 10-22mm at 11mm, F 4.5 @ 1/800 second, ISO 200.  Enjoy! David

5 comments:

  1. David--it is a terrific shot, but I don't understand your comment that "I used just the available light," when in fact you not only bounced light (ok, that is augmented available light) but also fill flash. It is all terrific, but not available light (as usually specified). Thanks--love your work and the teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Don, You're right. The fill was an after thought. The shot still looked good without the fill. Watch next week's TTues.
    -david

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shot and thanks for sharing, just finsihed reading your Caputured by light Book, really excellent and lots of new skills to try out on the next shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, the shot is just stunning. Thanks so much for teaching us how you do these masterpieces. Using the wide angle lens is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ziser,

    Wway to combo the high speed sync with the reflector. How far were you from your subject?

    ReplyDelete