Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Technique Tuesday: My 5+ Favorite Bridal Poses

Good Morning Everybody,

We had a great first day touring the city yesterday – just relaxed and did a lot of “people watching” at least up to about 2:00 p.m. at which point we caught up with my daughter, Elizabeth.  She is making the move from Brooklyn into the city, and just like any good parents, we decided to help her with her move this week. 

Taxi -LR OK, this is where the fun begins, she’s rented this compact apartment in Murray Hill, a very nice, bustling, neighborhood. We thought we would help with the new decorating chores.  So, what do we do in the Midwest – we jump into the car and head to the local Target store to pick up what we need, right?  NOT, at least not in NYC.  We took a taxi back to Brooklyn to the Target store – that’s right, TOOK A TAXI TO A TARGET STORE!

OK, now we’ve made our purchases.  The very nice girl, Connie, at the Target check out asked me if I want to open a Target charge and I can save $45 off my purchase.  I say, “Heck yeah!” – it made up for our cab fare – what a deal. At the card’s sky high 25% APR, I need to cancel that card as soon as we get back home ;~)

OK, we’ve made our purchases, a 5x7 throw rug, pillows, small wall vanity, and an assortment of other apartment necessities.  So how do we get back to Manhattan – you guessed it – in a cab. 

Bridge NYCThis time though, we found a limo service driver parked right outside the Target store willing to give us a lift back to Murray Hill. Before you load up the car and jump in, the first thing you need to do is NEGOTIATE the fare back across town.  No problem, he agreed to our terms and we were on are way.

30 minutes later we were back in Murray Hill, had our driver wait as we hauled everything into Elizabeth’s 3rd floor apartment, and then renegotiated the drive to 49th and 6th where we had dinner reservations.  What a day we had learning moving “tricks” in NYC ;~)

Rick Sammon2 Today, we are planning to “crash” Rick Sammon’s on location photo-shoot in Central Park. Rick is a great photographer who has written more books than I can count on all my fingers and toes. We had the chance to meet several times at Photoshop World and have gotten to know each other these last few years. That’s Rick on the bottom in this shot – yes, he is kind of “nuts” now and then, but aren’t we all sometimes ;~)

David, at B&H mentioned that he was coming to town and was doing this shoot today, so we thought it would be fun to crash the party.  No harm, no foul – it was OK’d by B&H. I’ll fill you in tomorrow.

OK, that’s our exploits so far in NYC – now it’s time to get on with this week’s Technique Tuesday.  Here we go…

My 5+ Favorite Bridal Poses

Many times I get a request to explain for example; What are your favorite bridal shots?" Although I don’t have just 5 – it really depends on the shoot, the location, and how much time we have on the wedding day, etc.

That being said, today I'd thought I answer that question for you as best I can. I'll walk you through several bridal images and discuss why I think these are necessary images to capture for the bride on her wedding day.

I’ll go into specific detail on exactly what you need to see through your camera, how to crop the image, and what not to miss on your wedding day shoot.  Hit the PLAY button below and enjoy the show.

I think you can see that it’s not “rocket science” to capture some great photographs of your clients.  It all comes down to decent lighting, good composition, and great expressions to make your client thrilled with your results.  Have fun shooting!

_______________________________________________________

Hey gang, that’s it for me today.  We’re heading out, grabbing lunch, and heading to Central Park to catch up with my buddy Rick.  Don’t tell him we’re on the way;~)

I’ll plan to see everyone back here tomorrow for a brand new “What’s Up Wednesday”.

See ya’ then,  have a great one,  -David

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorials and NY updates. And since you are the master negotiator, while at Animoto how about closing a two-for-one Pro deal? As in 24 months for one low price of $249? Or, heck, even 12 for $159??? :) Brian F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog but I can't watch the videos on the iPad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no e in 'portraits'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your work! Just found your blog through Scott Kelby's Digital Photography book. I could not have found your blog at a better time!! I am shooting a wedding this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete