Wednesday, May 26, 2010

"Pipe Dreams"

0001-Pipe Dreams-IMG_9104

"Pipe Dreams"
©David A. Ziser

This image is a variation of another I photograph I presented about two weeks ago.  We were photographing in beautiful St. Mary’s Cathedral – there are just so many places to position your subjects in this majestic location.  This time I choose to position the bride in front of one of the organ lofts.  This is the most used organ in the cathedral and becomes a great background for this photograph.  The fact that two large pillars flank the pipe organ certainly adds to the majesty of this location. The challenge was to position my bride at a point that kept the pipes from growing out of her head, but still keep her framed by the rest of the interior framing elements of the scene. I thought her position between the right column and the organ pipes worked just fine. Carrying the composition far into the ceiling and picking up the stained glass windows further adds to the dramatic impact of this image.  The bride was lit from camera left by shooting through my Zumbrella with my Quantum T5d on 1/8 power at about 8 feet away.  Camera specs: Canon 7D fitted with 10-22mm wide angle lens at 16mm, F 7.1 @ 1/50 second, ISO 1600.  Enjoy!  -David

2 comments:

  1. It's a good image but I think the color of the flash light is too white compared to the yellowish tones of the cathedral light.
    Don't you think it could have been a good idea to gel the flash?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there David. I am a big fan of your style of photography. I know I have read in the past how you are not a huge fan of really fast glass. However, I would really like to see you try some of these wide angle church bridals with something like the canon 24 1.4 at 1.4 or thereabouts. You would still get the whole feel of the church surroundings in the image but get your brides to really pop out of the frame even more when combined with your ocf. Plus you could shoot at iso 200 and use very little flash power. I would just like to see a couple done in this manner once in a while. Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge on such a consistent basis. Jason

    ReplyDelete