Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Technique Tuesday: "Cabo Smiles" - Before and After; New Video Update

Good Morning Everybody,

Oops LR - Fotolia_17032295_Subscription_L I know, I had the incorrect time posted on yesterday’s Quick Hit Monday for Vincent Versace’s upcoming webcast on B&W conversions [link].  Needless to say, I didn’t post all the comments from those who pointed out the error of my ways. Yes, I was drinking out of the wrong side of the coffee cup way too early in the morning trying to get the post up before I needed to head out.

The correct time for Vinnie’s webcast as shown corrected on yesterday's post is Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM PDT;  12 p.m. CDT, and 1:00 p.m. EDT. Sorry for the inconvenience.

And speaking of Quick Hit Monday, I promised a few more items today, but I plan to roll them into Thursday’s Business Day Thursday post as they are more apropos to business.

I’ll Be At B&H For A Free Program May 23, 2010

Business Audience Hey gang, want to catch a FREE 3 hour program I’m presenting at B&H on Sunday May 23, 2010 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m? You can register right here. They tell me it is a full house but they have opened up a few more seats for the program but they go really fast – hope to see you in NYC on May 23.

Video Update: Shooting A Live Wedding

Finally, finally, finally - I finished editing my 920 images for my upcoming Kelby Training video.  Whew!  It wasn't just the "edit" but the "tweak" of each of the images that took a little time.  It was like prepping about 4 weddings by the time I finished up about 8:30 p.m. last night.  But, they are uploaded – I’ll let you know when the video goes "live."

Ziser1 You know, one thing I'm excited about with this upcoming video is the fact that is not one of the bigger events I’ve photographed in Cincinnati.  It's a regular wedding most any photographer would shoot on any weekend.  The idea for the project came together when I was asked to photograph my cousin's daughter's wedding. 

I thought, "What a great opportunity to show how I shoot a real "live" wedding.  I asked my cousin and her husband what I had in mind and they were just fine to include the Kelby video team with me.  I contacted Kelby Training, they loved the idea, flew the video team up from Florida, and we were good to go.

Ziser2 The wedding is a nice wedding at a nice church, and at a nice reception venue.  The couple are a wholesome all American couple with an all American wedding party.  The day included shooting at a few locations special to the bride and groom.  We captured some great images at a beautiful church, and we even had a nice sunset thrown in at the end of the day.  As a matter of fact I blogged two of the wedding images right here "Evening Fantasy" [link] and "All You Need Is Love" [link].

Anyway, like I said, it's a regular wedding from start to finish that I hope speaks to each and every one of you wedding photographers reading this blog.  It gives the perfect view of how I shoot a weeding.  I can't wait for you to see it.

Hey gang, time to get on with Technique Tuesday.  Here we go...

"Cabo Smiles" - Before And After

The idea for today's post came together because of a few comments and emails I received on last week's post, "Cabo Smiles" [link].  While we were in Cabo a few weeks ago, LaDawn asked me to photograph her three adult children.  I gladly obliged.  The challenge was to do it with just the minimal gear I brought with me.

The gear included my trusty "walk around" lens - my 18-200mm IS lens, my 10-22mm wide angle, and my brand new 100mm IS F2.8 macro lens.  For lighting I only brought my Canon 580 EXII flash.  I figured I'd be shooting it remotely so I also packed along my Quantum FreeWire radio system. 

Anyway, to make a long story short I, and most importantly LaDawn, felt I captured some terrific images.  And, as it turns out, it was with a minimum amount of lighting, a great lens choice, and just a little post processing in Lightroom.  The finished result, I promise you, will make a beautiful canvas wrapped portrait for the wall.

Hit the PLAY button below and let me tell you the rest of the story.

 _________________________________________________________

Hey gang, that's it for me today.  LaDawn and I have our quarterly meeting with my accountant shortly.  I hope it's good news after all the market gyrations these last few days;~)

Have a great rest of the day and I'll see you tomorrow for a very special announcement about a wonderful and exciting educational opportunity!

Adios Everybody,  -David

4 comments:

  1. wish i could attend one of your courses, but in UK so a bit Tricky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, your hair is slightly out of place in one of those training images :) For other reasons, I am anxious to see the series on Kelby. Brian F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tutorial. I had not thought of using a macro lens for portrait work. Great idea. I enjoyed the way you walked through the editing process from start to finish. I'm inexperienced in the facial retouching area and that portion of the video went a little quick for me. How about a series of videos on the basics of facial retouching? Thanks for all of the great info you provide -- Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello David.

    With the laptop in the shop I am all aboard the iPad today. But of course I can't see the video! Any thoughts on when the content will be "I" friendly?

    ReplyDelete