Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"Standing Alone"

Standing Alone

"Standing Alone" 
©David A. Ziser

I made this image - kind of an urban portrait -  yesterday during my Master Class shoot.  It’s probably my favorite shot of the day.  I like the two windows flanking the groom.  Their blank emptiness seem to enhance the feeling of the aloneness of the subject that I sense in this shot. Yet the soft shadow cast on the back wall suggests a mysterious presence in the scene.  Lighting was from camera right with my Quantum shooting through my Zumbrella.  Since I was shooting faster than the native sync speed, I had to turn the camera upside down to keep my subject in the flash sync part of the viewfinder, hence the slight vignetting at the top of the image.  Camera specs: Canon 7d fitted with 18-200mm IS lens at 24mm, F5.6 @ 1/400 second, ISO 200.  Enjoy!  -David

p.s. Hey gang, look for the rest of the post later today.  I’m running late for class.  See ya’ after lunch.  -David

3 comments:

  1. DAZ,
    This is one of my favorite of your images ever! The dark at the top really balance the groom well, and the rest of the composition is also quite striking.

    I'm in the habit of using the fp modes to sync the flash at higher speeds, but I think I try to get this look, too. Thank you.

    Levi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way the groom's shadow fall's on the wall. The framing is perfect. I just wish I had made that portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What would be the reason you prefer not to set your flash to hi speed mode when using higher shutter speeds?

    ReplyDelete