Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"Just Hangin' "
© David A. Ziser


I thought I needed some groom coverage here - it's been a while. This is a very simple portrait of our groom just sort of hanging around. The lighting is not my regular "loop light" but this time around is a "split light" pattern. Notice only half of his face is illuminated with addition light. I always think that guys can take the more severe "split lighting" as I find it to be a bit more masculine lighting pattern. The light, in this case was simply my off-camera flash bouncing off the dining room wall and positioned to the groom's left. The most interesting aspect of this image are the four "interior framing elements" surrounding our subject. The first is the wall opening I'm shooting through; the second, the arched entrance to the dining room; the third, the actual wall opposite the dining room entrance; and the fourth, the small arced opening to the kitchen. Notice how the groom's position ties them all together creating a nice sense of depth to the scene. Camera specs: Canon 40D fitted with 10-22mm lens at 22mm, F 5.6 @ 1/20 second, ISO800. Enjoy! -David

2 comments:

  1. I love the way you breakdown your approach and thoughts on a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't mention the two arrows pointing straight at the groom David. You may not have conciously noticed, but something inside was telling you...

    TimA

    ReplyDelete