Friday, October 03, 2008

"Elegant Afternoon"

"Elegant Afternoon"
© David A. Ziser

Here is one of the simple images made on Wednesday at the beautiful home I mentioned in yesterday's post. I simply had the bride extended her hands to each side, one hand on the chair and the other on the ledge to our left. I had to careful she didn't push her hand too far to her right because I wanted to see her fingers in my shot. I asked her to rotate her body to her right and bring her head back to her left ever so slightly. This created a very flattering curve to her figure and gave me a beautiful view of her face. Illumination was created with my assistant bouncing light off the wall to the bride's left. Bouncing light off the wall creates a large source of light. The flash must be at least 3 feet from the wall to get that large wall of light bouncing back and illuminating the subject thus creating that wonderfully soft flattering light on my bride.
I also used a very wide angle lens to pick up all the lines, particularly those in the ceiling, to add interest to this very simple portrait. All this took less that a minute to set up and capture the shot - really easy, really fast, really beautiful. Camera specs; Canon 40D fitted with 10-22mm lens at 20mm, F5.6 @ 1/15 second, ISO 800.
Enjoy! -David

2 comments:

  1. David,

    Love you commentary and daily wedding photos. As an aspiring wedding photographer, you are a great inspiration. Would very much like to attend your next class.
    Two questions, please:
    1) When using the Quantum T5d-R as a remote fill flash, what exact setting do you put the use with the flash.... and what setting do you utilize for the FreeWire FW9T so it triggers the T5d-R?
    2. Do you have a photographic 'belt system' that you utilize when shooting weddings that allows easy access to multiple lens, etc. Scott Kelby has suggested the Think Tank system for sports photography, but am wondering if that's too bulkly when shooting weddings?
    Any advise on these questions would be greatly appreciated.
    A big fan.

    D3Photoguy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob,
    The Quantum is NOT a FILL, but the MAIN light - it's positioned to give me the proper direction of light and it's set to give me the proper mainlight exposue - usually about 1/2 power on manual.

    I would never where one of those belt things - ruins the look of the suit ;~)

    -David

    ReplyDelete