Wednesday, February 09, 2011

”Rockin’ All Night Long”

Rock On

”Rockin’ All Night Long”
©David A. Ziser

I love making this kind of image during the wedding reception – the band’s view of the party.  I’ve got to be very careful not to trip or unplug any of the band’s wires and cables – that could be disastrous.  Unusually the bands know me so I can move freely among them to capture these kind of photographs.  To me, this kind of image really captures the party atmosphere of some of the big events.

What’s working for me in this photograph? I love the long shadows of the band members silhouetted against the dance floor created by my super wide angle lens.  I like seeing the drummers cymbal kicking into the image from the left.  I like the partial view of the guitar player on the right. 

This is a totally available light image – I’m only using the lights in the room to make this image. That means high ISO’s and fast enough shutter speeds to stop the motion of the musicians.  Since I’m using such a wide angle lens, depth of field at F6.3 usually is not an issue. 

This is still one of my favorite reception images.  Even if the bride and groom don’t select it for their album, which very seldom happens, I may incorporate this shot into the album layout as a background image.  The double page spread always looks cool. 

Camera specs:  Canon 5D fitted with 12-24mm wide angle lens at 12mm, F 6.3 @ 1/25 second,  ISO 1,600.  Enjoy!  -David

2 comments:

  1. David, I know I posted on another entry here that I shot my first wedding after reading "Captured..." but I thought you'd like to maybe read the review I wrote up about the book. I have it on my blog here: http://bit.ly/ia1Dt2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    What lovely pictures you have taken.

    //Elin

    ReplyDelete