Tuesday, February 01, 2011

"Some Enchanted Evening…"

Some Enchanted Evering

"Some Enchanted Evening…"
©David A. Ziser

I love shooting outdoors into sunsets.  Sometimes, as in the case above, the sky comes alive with color.  The weather earlier in the day sure would not have predicted this dramatic sunset.  It was just shortly before this image was taken that the clouds loosen up a bit and the setting sun made it’s presence known.  I guess, in a way, it was an enchanted evening for the photographer who happened to be me ;~)

Let me kind of walk you through what was going on in my mind as I composed this image.  First, look how the clouds seem to fan out from left to right.  The wide angle lens has something to do with that.  Wide angle lens work real magic on the textures and lines in the sky.  I wanted my subject to be moving and flowing  with the clouds.  By placing her camera left, and having her look to the right, we have that feeling of her being connected with the clouds.

Notice too that I positioned her 1/3 into the orange part of the sunset.  That way both clouds and sunset lead her into the scene bringing implied motion to this image.  I also like how all the textures of the clouds lead the viewers eye right to our subject. 

Lighting was from camera right with my flash without my Zumbrella attached at about 10 feet away on half power. I like how all the elements came together for a truly dramatic image.

Camera specs: Canon 5D Mark2 fitted with Sigma 12-24mm lens at 22mm, F5.6 @ 1/200 second, ISO 200.  Enjoy!  -David

5 comments:

  1. Nice shot Dr. Ziser.

    I was at the master class 09 spring ya?

    This is more my style dramatic portraits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David,

    Love your blog, your book, your seminars, your expertise. I'd want to know if I was mispronouncing a common word. Such is the case when you say the word "Height." Height rhymes with light. It is never pronounced "Heigth."

    Keep up the great work!

    Thank you,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful picture. I love it!

    Your post over at Scott Kelby's blog was SO good today. Oh my goodness. I am going to tweet it right this second! : ) Thank you for taking the time to compile all of that information! I know that is going to be helpful to so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David,
    I've been following your blog for years now and look forward to your blogs on a daily basis. I am not a professional photog, but am a professional architect and amateur photog hobbyist. I have purchased your books and DVDs and recommend them to anyone in a creative profession (not just photography). Your posts are always informative, insightful and full of inspiration, as well as beautiful photographs. It is uncanny how much your creativity in your craft, and business acumen relate to my profession, as well as other creative endeavors. Keep up the good work, you are much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mild geometric distortion created by the wide angle lens combined with the subdued tonality of the background/foreground and the contrast with the gown/subject give this image an almost painterly quality.

    Great, inspiring image!

    ReplyDelete