Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Technique Tuesday: I’m Transformed!!

Good Afternoon Everybody,

© Alexander Potapov - Fotolia.com I can feel it in my bones, things are almost caught up around here as least as far as I'm concerned and I have to tell ya' that's a good feeling. In all honesty, I'm really looking forward to getting DPT back to it's normal posting schedule. I hate having it hanging over me into the afternoon or even the late evening like yesterday.

My new KPPA presidential duties have been taking up a lot of that time and that's to be expected when one steps into a new role. I'm going to say this to our DPT readers, we've got some plans with the association that just may interest many of you reading this post.

The main thing on my agenda this year is to build content for our members, and I may just give our DPT readers a peek at what's going on. Anyway, it's a little too soon to release any more details but I can assure you, you will be the first to know.

Hey gang, I've got a pretty good Technique Tuesday for you today so let’s get right to it.

Technique Tuesday: I’m Transformed!!

We have several tutorials on Lighting, Photography, and Composition the last few weeks so this time around I’m going to head us over to the computer and explore different ways to handle lens correction and cropping options when shooting wide angle lenses. I’ll be using Lightroom 3 and Photoshop to get my differing results.

In this tutorial, I use about the widest lens you can find - the Sigma 12-24mm lens on my Canon 5D Mark II. The results you prefer will depend on your tastes. Me, I like all the different variations I managed on the image you'll see in his tutorial.

Why not hit the PLAY button below and enjoy the show.

________________________________________________________

Hey everybody, that's it for me today. Tomorrow is not supposed to be a blogging day for me under my new schedule but I've got a few announcements I think you'll like to hear.

I'll just give you a quick peek. I'm expanding the blog with new content on Wednesday but even more important - I'll show you how you can pick up my book "Captured By The Light" or my Zumbrella, Sunspots Reflector, or my Love Lightz for only $10 bucks.

Hope to see you tomorrow. Heck, I might even have the post up on time tomorrow ;~)

See ya' then, David

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great video, I never noticed the perspective box on the crop tool before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial as always David!

    Something you might try in the future:

    Don't just automatically crop the empty pixels when you transform an image with perspective change. You'll lose a lot of good image area.

    Instead: Try filling the blank area first!

    You will then have more options on how much you need to crop. Doing that can save more of the "real" pixels in the image.

    When you have a blank area due to perspective scaling, rather than immediately cropping off the lost pixels and losing all those good pixels in the rest of the photo, try using content-aware fill to add imaginary pixels into the empty areas in the photo. While you may not get a perfect fill, you might get a few more degrees of usable image. By adding a little bit of imaginary pixels what you created you can rescue a lot of good pixels.

    Both content-aware fill and content-aware scaling can help restore empty areas at the blank corners. And for folks who don't have content-aware features or just to get a better match, the clone tool can help fill in the blank area.

    Yes, it means creating something that didn't exist in the first place, but done right, it won't be noticed. It is in a corner after all.

    If you know your location, you'll have a pretty good idea of what would have been there and can use your best judgment.

    Even if you only like a little of what you added out of empty pixels, You can get a bigger cropped image gaining a LOT more of the real image that you would have otherwise cropped off.

    And in space added in the corners, you might then perform more work to hide the fix, like add a vignette, or blur.

    It's all about using as much of the actual image as possible

    ReplyDelete