Monday, September 29, 2008

Monday Morning - Reporting From Florida; Time Magazine Says Photographers Are Weird, Client Ordering In Lightroom, and Blu_Ray Backup

Good Morning Everybody,
LaDawn and I are settled into our hotel, our home away from home for the next few days. We are back in the Tampa, Florida area to wrap a few more videos for Kelby Training. It’s always a kick to come down here and work with the terrific NAPP team in putting these videos together. Yes, it is work, but a lot of times it feels like play. Anyway, we are happy to be here for a few days. I've got a few quick hits for you today, so let's get to it.

Time Magazine Says Photographers Are Weird
Yep, that's what they said. I picked up last week's issue of Time Magazine, I'm a regular reader, and there it was, a story that was discussing Nikon's newly introduced D90. I had just finished doing my first article on, "Where Had All The Business Gone" and now I was presented with another reason right here in a respected national magazine.

Here are the opening lines of the second paragraph, "It's pretty well known that professional photographers are weird, which is why I worship them. They are persnickety about all things yet have pulses that never exceed 60 beats a minute." Here is the Time article link right here. That's it! - That's why business is down for so many photogs - we are just plain weird. Heck, even my own dad always wanted me to get a real job. I know it was a "tongue in cheek" remark, but all the same it speaks to the perception many have for the business of professional photography - 'nough said.

Lightroom Galleries And Client Ordering
Chris, a resident computer gurus at my Fall Master Class, dropped me a note to tell me about this cool little application over at Lightroom Galleries.com. Download their Lightroom template, fire up Lightroom, and create your own gallery where your client can easily browse their up to 800+ images, pick their favs, and comment and order any image. Once they sign off on their selection, you get the email with their picks and you are good to go to process the order. A lot of people are loving it. Sounds great and I think it has possibilities - check it out right here. Thanks Chris!

200 Year Archival Storage Now Available From Delkin
Delkin just announced their new USB 2.0 outboard Blu-Ray drive. Now you can burn all those RAW multi-gigabyte wedding images to just one or two discs. Delkin says it only takes about 30 minutes to burn a full 25 gigs to one of their "200 year life" archival discs - not bad. Hey, this looks like the way to proceed, but $25 per disc - Whew!! I do believe this is the way to go - eventually, but I'm waiting for the price to drop on the disks. Anyway, here is the link to the Delkin info.

2 comments:

  1. I'm having flashbacks to when CD-R first came out. Certainly costly. There is definitely value in the time savings. I'll be waiting for the price drop as well.

    ReplyDelete