Thursday, September 18, 2008

"Evening Beauty"

"Evening Beauty"
© David A. Ziser

This is one of the images, I made late last night. The sun had completely set and we just had the glow of downtown Cincinnati in the background. I lit our bride with my high powered flashlight. This is becoming one of my favorite lighting techniques these days - and we got this terrific result. Again, since the camera needed to be set to 2800 degrees Kelvin to balance with the flashlight, I got these very cool (no pun intended) blue tonalities throughout the image. I think the background, colors, and expression combined resulting in a quite dramatic image.
Camera specs; Canon 40D fitted with 70-200mm IS lens at 70mm, F 4.0 @ 1/6 second - handheld, ISO 800.
Enjoy! -David

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful shot David! Two quesitons:

    1.) Forgive me if you've mentioned it in a previous post, but what type of flashlight do you use? A normal LED flashlight? Something more specialized?

    2.) Do you have any suggestions for handholding shots at < 1/15sec shutter speeds? It seems that invariably I'll get some haloing or blurring unless I use a tripod, even if I'm flashing to try to freeze the subject. I feel like if I had tried to take this shot I would have had a beautiful blue blob in front of the skyline. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice shot David. So dramatic. I do feel that it would look a tad better is she was not so centers (perhaps more to the right) any reason why you went for the centered look.

    Either way it's a beautiful show.

    Gav
    seimeffects.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does not work for me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David,

    Excellent image! I have a similar question: what type of high powered flashlight are you using? I would appreciate it if you can give the specs so I can check if it is available locally here in my country. Thank you for sharing and continually inspiring us. God be with you always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEAUTIFUL! I love the backlighting. I with everyone else...what typr of flashlight do you use for this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks way too post-processed for my taste...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great image and I definitely will try the flashlight in the future. Gavin, it is interesting that you mentioned the image being in the center. I did an engagement shoot last week and a friend of the bride to be commented she couldn't believe my images were not 'centered'. [go figure :-) ] The bride liked them not centered since it displayed the beautiful sunset.

    ReplyDelete