Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Quick Hit Monday: Whoops! I Should Have Caught That!

Good Afternoon Everybody,

Things are kind of calm around here today.  I’m feeling a lot better, the sun is shining, and the weather is perfect – it’s a fine day in the neighborhood ;~)

Crowd graphic - LR Just a quick note, since I mentioned the FREE Design Webcast yesterday [link], we have almost 100 signed up.  I’m letting the world know about it in the next few days, so don’t miss out, get registered right away. Click here see link in right column of blog.  Remember, there are 1000 seats available in the “webcast room”  and we’re 10% full already.

That said, let’s get on with today’s Technique Tuesday.  Here we go.

Whoops! I Should Have Caught That!

When shooting with a second light, you up the ante just a bit on the complexity of the shoot.  Not a lot - it's not rocket science or anything, but you and your assistant need to keep your "wits about you" when shooting with that second light.  If you don’t you may potentially ruin your image with badly falling shadows or light flares.

This tutorial walks you through one of my recent shoots where we had problems with both.  We quickly discovered the “errors of our ways”,  made the necessary lighting adjustments, and got some terrific images.

Why not hit the PLAY button to see what I'm talking about. Enjoy!

_______________________________________________________

Hey gang, that’s it for me today.  Don’t forget to check back tomorrow for our Wednesday series, You Still Have To Come Back With The Shot!

How about I see you sometime around mid-day tomorrow.

Have a good one and I’ll see you then,  David

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this tutorial. I just have a quick question. At Minute 7:32 you are saying that "we can fix the underexposed face in LR or Photoshop..." I found it extremely difficult to correct underexposed skintones/faces. When I light them up they always look muddy or artificial. Any tips about this problem? I guess a lot people having trouble in fixing skintone.
    Thanks
    Andreas

    ReplyDelete
  2. No answer to my question? Would it not be a very good tutorial how to fix skin tones?

    Regards
    Andreas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andreas,
    Sometimes lighting up underexposed skin tones will turn them a bit grey and introduce noise if the exposure is really bad. You always have to determine if the image is worth saving.

    One of my favorite Photoshop plugins is ICorrect Portrait. It even has a skin tone adjustment button. The more I write this, the more I see a Technique Tuesday happening on the subject - maybe next week ;~) David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David,
    thank you very much for your response and the quick tip with IcorrectPortrait. I would not be surprised that in -the case you create a new Technique Tuesday-, it would be one of most popular one. We all can correct under or overexposed trees, buildings etc, especially because you have much more "creative freedom" than with such a sensitive subject like the skintone of a bride.
    Regards
    Andreas

    ReplyDelete