Thursday, August 04, 2011

"China Doll"

China Doll

"China Doll"
© David A. Ziser

As I was browsing images for yesterday’s post I remembered the wedding I did a number of years ago and had to do several of the photographs in the rain.  As I was looking at the rainy day images I can across this sweet photograph of the little flower girl.

Many times I do photograph flower girls by themselves but in more recent years have changed my approach to photograph younger children this way. When small children are all alone in front of the camera, they can often times become very shy - real quick.  An easy solution to this is to take a typical photograph of the bride with the flower girl then I’ll simply ask the bride to draw the little flower girl close into her. 

In my next series of images, I’ll zoom in much closer to the flower girl only.  I like the fact that bride is in the photograph too, almost in a supporting role.  With the bride that close to the small child, she also offers  a sense of security for the little girl making her less shy in front of the camera. It’s easy to get the shot every time when using this easy posing technique.

This image is 100% jpeg right out of the camera – no enhancement whatsoever. Lighting, BTW is from camera right with my strobe shooting through a translucent umbrella  on 1/4 power.

Camera specs; Nikon D1x fitted with 80-200mm non VR lens at 112mm, F5.6 @ 1/100 second, ISO 400.  Enjoy!  -David

1 comment:

  1. Painted Chinese umbrellas make a wonderful framing element for a portrait. I recently photographed a few dancers holding umbrellas, and couldn't resist coming in really tight for a nicely framed image.

    ReplyDelete