Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Technique Tuesday: Bouquets Away!

Good Morning Everybody,

Clouds2 Ahhhh, to be back on the road again - it just feels so good. I know that when I say that, many people think I'm crazy. But the fact of the matter is that I still like visiting the photographers we meet in all the cities we visit. And, I enjoy presenting my Captured By The Light 2010 program to the enthusiastic attendees. Ask LaDawn her thoughts on touring and you might get a different response ;~)

Anyway, we had a beautiful drive down to Nashville yesterday, picked up an hour with the time zone change, and landed plenty early to get the room in tip top shape before everybody arrived.

Cumberland HallThe Cumberland Ballroom at the Marriott Airport is the most unusual ballroom I've presented in. It looks like a airplane hanger - big and roomy with curved foam walls and ceiling. From the outside, it looks like one of those "blow up" tent buildings.

Wild Crowd

The location sure didn't deter our audience though. We had one fired up, excited group in Nashville and everyone seemed to enjoy the program.  DAZ and MarkAnother surprising thing about the program last night was just how far many drove to attend –  20 attendees drove over 3 hours to be part of the presentation. WOW!   Mark Friedland even flew in from Dallas since he could make it when were there 3 weeks ago!  Thanks you guys and girls for making the big effort!  And another BIG thanks to LaDawn’s volunteers for all their help thru-out the evening.

Today, we make the drive to Atlanta for this evening's program. It's another 4 1/2 drive with the time change working against us so we are on the road bright and early this morning.

But not before I get today's Technique Tuesday on the air. Here we go...

Bouquets Away!

You guessed it, today's tutorial is about how to photograph the bridal bouquet toss at the wedding reception. At nearly every wedding, the bride tosses her bouquet to an excited group of single girls with the winner catching the bouquet, as tradition goes, meaning that she is next in line to be married.

I've seen a lot of bouquet tosses in my career and they are always fun to see and even more fun to photograph. For me, it's not just about capturing the action of the toss. It's about capturing the entire sequence of the toss, the actions and the reactions during those moments, and the grand finale of the lucky girl enthusiastically hugging the bride - all great moments to be sure.

So what are the images I try to capture? How do I position my lights? Where is my assistant standing during the action? All those questions and more are answered in today's tutorial. Hit the PLAY button below and enjoy the show.

________________________________________________________

Hey everybody, that's it for me today. We need to be on our way for Atlanta. We've got another big crowd of over 200 coming  this evening. You still have time to register and come on by and say HI. Hope to see you this evening.

And, don't forget to check in tomorrow for another episode of "The One That Got Away".

Have a great one and I'll see you then, David

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your presentation last night and getting to meet you in person! Your work is beyond amazing! I cant wait to get out there and put into practice what I learned.

    BTW, where's the wave video? LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping you will expand your tour to Jacksonville, Florida this January or February. Come on Dave - you know you want to "snowbird" in Florida! We're right on your way to Orlando, Tampa, and Miami - all great stops for you to add to the tour! You can avoid the snow for a good week down here.

    ReplyDelete