Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Instant Replay Technique Tuesday: Light Painting with Lightroom and Master Class Update

Good Morning Everybody,

MC Pics My Digital Master Class got off to a fine start yesterday.  We have photographers attending from Washington DC to California and from Michigan to Texas.  Yesterday we spent all day in class. Today we head on out and shoot at several locations around the Cincinnati area.

Quantum supplied all the lighting gear, my four coaches are standing by ready to answer questions and provide support, models are dressed and ready, Mother Nature is providing beautiful sunshine and slightly warmer than normal temperatures, it’s going to be a GREAT day!  I can’t wait to show you some of the images tomorrow.

Over the weekend I also picked up one of Canon’s brand new PowerShot G12 cameras from B&H.  This is their latest, greatest little gem that has been receiving rave reviews.  I may just see how it does on a few images today – it just might be kind of fun to see and report on the results.  One cool thing Canon G12aabout the the G12 is it’s ability to supposedly sync at ANY shutter speed.  That’s because of it’s electronic shutter.

Hey gang, with the class going on, it’s kind of tough blogging this week – there just aren’t enough hours in the day to get everything done.  Anyway, I still have a cool tutorial for you today so I hope you enjoy it.  Here we go…

Light Painting With Lightroom

OK, OK, I know this tutorial has Lightroom 2 plastered all over the titling, but do not let that deter you from watching it – it is a pretty cool tutorial and shows you a brand new way to use Lightroom to enhance your images.

The technique I’m showing you today lets me put the light tonalities anywhere I want on the image. This would most commonly be down in Photoshop with lots of layer masks, etc.  But since I’m such a Lightroom “nut” I wanted to see if I could pull off the same result in Lightroom.  By the way, this technique works with any version of Lightroom.

Here is the “beauty” part of using this technique in Lightroom.  If you have several similar images from the same shoot, it’s just so easy to “sync” the settings across all the similar images obtaining the results on all the images at the same time – not so easy in Photoshop.

Anyway, why don’t you hit the PLAY button and enjoy the show!

______________________________________________________

Hey gang, that’s it for me today.  I’ll look forward to seeing everybody tomorrow with a report of our shooting experiences today and another episode of “The One That Got Away”.

See ya’ then,  -David

2 comments:

  1. Very nice post! I enjoyed watching the video! Thanks for the nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do very little post-processing at this point. You demonstrated an elegant simplicity in this technique that inspires me to dive in.

    ReplyDelete