Friday, October 08, 2010

"The Circle of Love"

Circle Of LoveIMG_5557

"The Circle of Love"
©David A. Ziser

This is an image from my Wedding Shootout at Photoshop World. I thought I would feature it today because I actually talk about it every night during my CBTL2010 tour.

It's the part of the program where I discuss how the location can contribute to a beautiful image. Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton Church [link], where this image was captured certainly proved the point. It was a very contemporary sanctuary with lots of cool design features that would contribute to the beauty of any wedding photograph.

I really liked this circular design in the tile work in the front of the church. The wide angle lens and very high vantage point (I was holding the camera over my head while using the "live view" feature of my Canon 7D) made for a very interesting image. Light is from camera left - Quantum through Zumbrella at 1/4 power. I also added a small slave activated flash behind the bride and groom to accent the bride's veil.

An ever so slight tweak in Lightroom, I added a slight gradient at the bottom of the image and then finished it with a slight "color priority" vignette. The result is a traditional wedding photograph captured a bit more interestingly with the special location features I was able to include in the image.

Camera specs: Canon 7D fitted with Sigma 8-16mm at 8mm, F 5.6 @ 1/50 second, ISO 800. Enjoy! -David

2 comments:

  1. What was your thinking behind the choosing of the camera(image) white balance and the ambient to flash color balance giving you the back wall rendered green at the top and right behind the couple?
    I love the circle, but IMHO the green fights for attention with the couple. Was it a case of not enough time for slapping on some 1/4 Plus Green gels on the flashes and shifting the white balance to florescent? Was it a case of too many different light sources mixed in one shot? Is there more to it? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon the colour balance is correct. To gel the light and match the colour on the forground to the backgroung might be technically correct but IMHO it would't look right as people will remember the background as being warm coloured wood with the green lights. What you're suggesting would make it look too clinical. Opinions will vary of course.

    ReplyDelete