Thursday, October 07, 2010

"Standing On The Corner Watching All The Boys Go By"

Standing On The Corner Watching All The Boys0768_DZ-Walker W10

"Standing On The Corner Watching All The Boys Go By"
©David A. Ziser

This is another image from the wedding I photographed a few weeks ago. The bride loved the the city/urban setting for these photographs. Once again I used the super wide angle Sigma lens to accentuate the feel of the location.

Here is the thing though; Using the super wide angle lens can easily distort your subject's body parts near the edge of the frame. In this case, the bride's hands were serious distorted (much larger than usual). Ok, how to fix it - I decided to experiment with the Lens Correction sliders in Lightroom 3.

By using the vertical lens adjustment slider I was able to bring the bride's hands and bouquet into a much better perspective with the onerous distortion. But wait, something else happened.

Now look how the building itself became distorted in the the top half of the frame. Does this help or hurt the image? I kind of like the effect - in my mind, it further enhances the stylized nature of the image. As a matter of fact, I want to give it a try on a few more super wide angle images. The result may be quite a treat. Hey, we're just playing, right?

Camera specs: Canon 7D fitted with Sigma 8-16mm lens at 8mm, F5.6 @ 1/60 second, ISO 200, Enjoy! -David

4 comments:

  1. Definitely enhances the images. More of the lines are converging onto the subject, such as the brick frame on the left. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it was a great night anyways. Even if I DIDN'T win that photoshop world registration (hmph!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the distortion. I really drives the eyes to her face in the center but since the seam is off-center, it helps highlight the face in the shadows too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your going point appollo loco:)

    ReplyDelete