Thursday, September 23, 2010

"Fault Lines"

0001-Fault Lines-IMG_6246

"Fault Lines"
©David A. Ziser

This image was made a few weeks ago during our day trip to Joshua Tree National Park. It was taken from Keys View.  Keys View offers a fantastic view of the Santa Rosa Mountains and San Jacinto Mountains, and the actual San Andreas fault – very cool! It is probably one of my favorite images from the trip. I always love to see the repeat of the mountain ridges into the distant horizon.

In this image those mountain ridges are further enhanced by the subtle tonalities of the fog surrounding them. Actually the fog is LA smog. I loved working these tonalities in Lightroom and tried to bring out all ranges of light and dark tones.

Converting the image to B&W let me work the shades of gray even further allowing me to really expand the gamut of gray hues to their fullest.

Camera specs: Canon 7D fitted with 18-200mm IS lens at 70mm, F5.0 @ 1/1600 second, ISO 200. Enjoy! -David

2 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful image, David - great job! I love the subtle gradations of tone that you've achieved there. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Ziser,
    I love the soft tones in your b&w images. Do you have any suggestions for someone who only has an older version of Elements?
    Also, you regularly mention using Sigma lenses, especially wide angle and fisheye. I was wondering if you recommend Sigma for the 18-200mm style lenses as well. I struggle with whether or not a 70-200 2.8 is necessary.
    Any direction would be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete