Wednesday, September 01, 2010

"Desert Dreams"

Desert Dreams

"Desert Dreams"
©David A. Ziser

I made this image during yesterday’s PSW pre-con. We had wrapped up the church shoot and then headed outside to work in the dreaded Las Vegas sun – and bright it was!  There are a few ways to control bright sunlight. 

One of my favorites ways to control the bright sunlight is to use a translucent panel.  In this case I used the large 84 inch umbrella I discussed in last week’s post [link]. By intercepting the sun’s rays that were falling directly on the bride, I was able to soften the light considerably and still maintain it’s direction.

The umbrella also cuts the light by two stops meaning that with the bride perfectly exposed in the shadow of the umbrella, the sunlit foliage in the background takes on nice pastel (albeit overexposed) tonalities. I love the look for outdoor portraits. 

Camera specs:  Canon 7D fitted with 100mm F2.8 IS macro lens, F3.2 @ 1/500 second, ISO 200.  Enjoy!  -David

1 comment:

  1. Love that umbrella! Much easier than a panel for a photographer working alone to use. Found a Photek sunbuster sold by Adorama that is now on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete