Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"A Study In Contrasts"

"A Study In Contrasts"
©David A. Ziser

This image still remains one of my all time favorites. When setting up the shot, I was first intrigued by the shadow and highlight on the wall behind the couple. I always survey the "space" first and then see how I can make it work with my subjects. The contrasts of this scene seemed to fit the bill with what I had in mind. I simply positioned the bride and groom against the contrasts of the wall creating an image that is intriguing both compositionally and visually. OK, I have one regret with the image - even years after I have taken it. I wish, at the time I would have switched the position of the bride and groom - him in his black tux against the white side and her in her white gown against the darker side of the building. As with any wedding shoot, we were in a rush so I didn't get a chance to try "Plan B". Anyway, I still like the shot as presented. Camera specs; Hasselblad 500CM fitted with 50mm Distagon, F11 @ 1/500 second, Kodak Vericolor 400 film. Enjoy! -David

7 comments:

  1. David. Were you tempted to place them in opposites thereby creating more contrast? Regards Chris in UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what came to mind when I saw the photo as well, Chris.

    I think this is my favorite wedding photo that you've posted, David. The contrast, colors and the way you posed the couple makes for an absolutely gorgeous shot. Wow...

    Leslie in Antioch, California

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Were you tempted to place them in opposites thereby creating more contrast?"

    I got the same conclusion too.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Placing them on the opposite sides would've been my choice, but as you say David, time is of the essence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this photo but before I even read your comments about it I thought the only thing I would've done differently... switch their positions to especially make the bride stand out more. So we are all on the same page here. I know how you feel when you are on a time schedule and you look back later and say..."OH...that is good, but if I'd had more time it could've been even better." Let this be a lesson to the customers, don't be in a rush, if you want the best...it takes a bit of time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. First glance I would agree to switch them but also have no problem breaking from time to time and this one works well either way.
    What really makes this a wonderful image is the simplicity of the overall location an using the corner .
    I will keep a close eye out for this look in the future for sure.

    ReplyDelete