Wednesday, June 29, 2011

"Me Alone"

Only Me-IMG_6709-Edit

"Me Alone"
© David A. Ziser

This is a very unusual image in how it came together.  Let me just say, it was a total accident.  I was photographing this attractive young couple for our Kelby Training "Engagement Shoot" training series. We had just moved to a new location in Ybor City near downtown Tampa, FL.  I wanted to check light, exposure, and focus and went in very close on Brittany and took a quick photographs.  This was the first test shot in this location.

As I was editing all 2,500 images from the 4 days of shooting, I stopped on this image.  It caught my attention in such a way that I fell in love with the image.  Yes, I like the direct look Brittany gives back to the camera.  Yes, I like her very low position in the composition. Yes, I like that Colby's head is cropped off, he becomes a prop with in the image. No offense Colby. 

I think this crop brings the viewer's attention directly to Brittany.  You look into her face and eyes unencumbered by any extraneous distractions and wonder what she's thinking.  Colby’s arms (without his head) help direct the viewer’s attention even more directly to Brittany. The gritty setting and raw red colors of the brick against the black background enhance the composition.  Overall, I think it's a very provocative, emotive image.

Lighting was from camera right - Quantum, no Zumbrella, at 1/2 power just out of camera range.

Camera specs: Canon 7D fitted with 18-200mm IS lens at 70mm, F10 @ 1/320 second, ISO 200.  Enjoy!  -David

1 comment:

  1. I like this very much, I sometimes tire of the perfectly posed and lit photos featured. the lighting is soft and directional, I was surprised to see that the umbrella was not used.

    ReplyDelete