Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"Peeking In On The Day"

"Peeking In On The Day"
©David A. Ziser

I made this image about a year ago. It was one of my favorite weddings for that year. The couple was great to work with and really emoted their excitement throughout the day. This image I captured was taken just moments before the bride was to make her appearance and walk down the aisle. Guests were arriving and I caught this wonderful candid moment of her peeking out the window to peek at the arriving guests. I loved her soft expression and her beautiful eyes. I had one problem though - we I got back to the studio and inspected the image, I found that it was out of focus. I still loved what I had but what to do - Stylize it! Stylizing an image means doing something to it so it still looks good when presented to the client. I chose to add quite a bit of noise to the image to disguise the image blur. The grain is sharp so the eye is fooled into thinking the image is sharp - well, which it is when focusing on the grain. Anyway, it was a good save - I got to present the image to my client, they loved it , and it was selected for the final album. Camera specs; Canon 30D fitted with 70-200mm IS lens at 120mm, F 5.6 @ 1/30 second, ISO 800. Enjoy! -David

10 comments:

  1. "Peaking"??? And I know you know how to spell it because it's right in the text. Peeking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not my favorite image. But, you sold it, and that is what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this photo, and a great option to save an out of fous photo with great compositon. I may try it in the future. I love your site, I am here everyday learning so much, keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tip !
    Keep it up, I'm an admirer :-)

    grtz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you tricked me... I thought it was a photo taken in really low light that you just cranked up, and hence the grain! The sharpening really worked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job, David! I did this very thing with a image I was working on the other night. It was an engagement picture of a couple where he was struggling to carry her on his back and they were both laughing about it. Very cute moment. But stupid me had the shutter speed set to low to stop the action, so it came out slightly blurry. So I just did something similar to what you did. Cranked up the grain, added more than the usual sharpening, but I went one step further and made it B&W. Ended up with a nice "stylized" image. Haven't shown it to my clients yet, so hope they like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome photo David. Check out this weeks interview I'm sure you will love it. Take care and hope you're well.

    Crash

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great save recently I have had to save a couple of photos. I didnt think of the noise solution but instead used one of my oil painting filters and then masked the original back in (a little) so that recognition would not be a factor.
    I love your site and your straightforwardness in your blog and its good to know that even the pros make mistakes which lead to creative solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, David, I would have thrown that kind of image out. Thank you (and the other commenters) for giving me the idea of trying to save it. I will now think twice about trashing a blurred or slightly out of focus image.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I follow your blog (thanks to a photographer friend's suggestion) and was glad to see this post~ literally last night I was doing a 'save' of a baby image that was slightly out of focus but she has a great expression and I knew I had to work with it. It's now one of my faves (mainly b/c of the expression) and the client loves it too. I am always amazed at what the clients see vs. what I see in images...I am always concerned about the technical correctness, and they see their loved ones and it captures their emotions. Thanks for being honest and sharing your tips~ it's very encouraging for a new photographer!
    Blessings,
    ~marci

    ReplyDelete