Wednesday, July 13, 2011

"Easy Confidence"

Easy Confidence

"Easy Confidence"
© David A. Ziser

This is an image I made a few years ago as part of of a high school senior shoot. Knowing the client and her family, I think this image does show Katie’s easy confidence as a young adult.  The pose was not contrived in any way – I just asked her to stand in front of the wooden bridge, grab her jacket comfortably, and look back into the camera. It was easy to capture the image I was looking for.

Other factors that make this image work include the beautiful background behind her.  It’s a country farm road fairly close to my studio.  It was my “go to” location for high school seniors and family portraits till it was sold a few years ago.  I have yet to find another location that looks so good and works as well for these kinds of portraits near the studio.

The other element that works well for this portrait is the shallow depth of field and long lens.  The combo creates a beautiful separation of background and subject which keeps the viewers eyes right on the subject.

A funny side note about this image is the fact that it was about 97 degrees outside when we were taking these photographs.  We we’re all “dying” in the heat.  Katie, on the other hand, exuded her easy confidence in spite of the weather conditions.

Lighting was coming from camera left - my Quantum on 1/8 power about 10 feet away shooting through my translucent umbrella.

Camera specs:  Canon 30D fitted with 70-200mm IS lens at 110mm, F4.0 @ 1/25 second (handheld), ISO 800.  Enjoy!  -David

No comments:

Post a Comment